Changes to Wisconsin DPI Licensing
Starting December 1, 2013 the Department of Public Instruction will no longer be accepting paper license applications for initial certification. We will update our website with the new online application process once it is made available. If you are applying for initial certification in Wisconsin we ask that you check our website between January 1, 2014 and January 15, 2014 and submit all necessary materials during that time. As of right now we can only process paper applications for emergency licensure. All others will be returned.
If you are applying for a license in any one of the following areas, a passing score on the Foundations of Reading Test for Wisconsin
will be required if you do not have your license fully applied for by January 30, 2014, per state law, regardless of when you completed the program. This will require you to submit appropriate paperwork to our office, our upload approval to DPI's website and you completing the application process in its entirety and pay the application fee by the deadline. It can take up to 2-3 weeks for UWSP to process a license request.
- Early Childhood - Regular Education (70-777) (UWSP ECE Major)
- Early Childhood - Special Education (70-809) (UWSP ECSE Minor)
- Early Childhood - Middle Childhood (71-777)
- Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence (72-777) (UWSP Elementary Education Major)
- Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence Cross Categorical (72-801) (UWSP Special Education Major and CD, LD and EBD minors)
- Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence Specific Learning Disabilities (72-811) (UWSP LD minor)
- Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence Emotional Behavioral Disabilities (72-830) (UWSP EBD minor)
- Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence Cognitive Disabilities (72-810) (UWSP CD Minor)
- Early Adolescence - Adolescence Cross Categorical (73-801) ) (UWSP Special Education Major and CD, LD and EBD minors)
- Early Adolescence - Adolescence Specific Learning Disabilities (73-811) (UWSP LD minor)
- Early Adolescence - Adolescence Emotional Behavioral Disabilities (73-830) (UWSP EBD minor)
- Early Adolescence - Adolescence Cognitive Disabilities (73-810) (UWSP CD minor)
- Reading Teacher (316)
- Reading Specialist (17)
What is a teacher license?
To be a certified teacher, complete an approved
teacher education program. Once the program is completed, apply to a state
licensing agency for a teacher license.
When can I apply for a teacher license?
January 15 will be the first day anyone is able to use the new DPI online licensing system.
What are fingerprint cards and how do I get them?
If fingerprinting is necessary, DPI is only accepting electronic fingerprinting at this time.