All current UWSP students applying to the dance major and minor programs must successfully complete an on-campus performance audition and interview with the UWSP dance faculty. Several tuition scholarships will be awarded to students accepted as dance majors. The faculty selects scholarship recipients during the on-campus audition; an additional scholarship application is not required.
The dance faculty considers the following elements of your application and audition:
- In your written application – your ability to clearly and completely communicate your ideas and goals;
- During your audition – your ability to engage with new ideas and information, your capacity to embody the material presented, both physically and intellectually, and your knowledge of and ability in at least 2 of the 4 techniques offered at UWSP (ballet, modern, jazz and tap);
- In your prepared solo – your ability to communicate through movement; and
- During your interview – your ability to articulate your reasons for studying dance at the university level.
UWSP's Dance Program aspires to create a dynamic culture in which students are inspired to achieve full physical expression, technical and stylistic range, and anatomical efficiency. We are dedicated to artistic experimentation and contemporary inquiry that is culturally relevant and historically grounded, preparing students to communicate, contribute and lead as global citizen artists.
Required Materials Checklist
Your resume listing dance training, performance experience, and awards
One recent photograph – either a headshot or dance photo
Your three-page essay, typed, double-spaced, and carefully proofread for spelling, grammar and completeness of ideas. Your answers should be thoughtful and detailed.
- Considering UWSP's Dance Program Mission Statement, your reasons for pursuing a dance major or minor in our program.
- Describe what most interests you about studying dance at the university level.
- Describe the ways you see yourself as a leader in the field of dance now, and in what ways you envision yourself leading in the future.
- Two letters of recommendation (signed and dated) from individuals able to assess your abilities. We accept email letters of recommendation (mail to: email@example.com).
- One letter should be written by an academic teacher or advisor who is able comment on your ability to be successful in university-level academic coursework; the second letter should be written by a primary dance teacher who is able to comment on your ability and potential to be successful in a university-level dance program.
Upload your completed application, including all required materials, Acceptd.com two weeks prior to your audition date. Applications will be accepted in advance of the deadline. Any applications received after this deadline may not be considered. Please direct questions regarding this application to:
Professor Joan Karlen, Department of Theatre & Dance, Noel Fine Arts Center, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, WI 54481 | Voice: 715/346-3978 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org