Michael Estanich is a Professor of Dance at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point where he teaches contemporary modern dance, composition, dance pedagogy, movement analysis, and dance history. He earned his MFA from The Ohio State University and his BFA from Denison University. Michael’s creative research currently examines the intersection of dance and theatre as powerful tools for corporeal expression. His work asserts value in a multidisciplinary creative approach, relying on movement, voice, sculpture, and dramaturgy to create intimate works of human folly. He formed RE|dance group (redancegroup.org) in 2009 with Chicago artist Lucy Vurusic Riner as a means to explore long distance collaboration. RE|dance group has presented work regionally, nationally, and internationally, recently at the New Dance For Asia International Festival in Seoul, South Korea. Michael and Lucy have presented their research on the collaborative creative process at various conferences hosted by the National Dance Educator’s Organization. Michael’s performance credits include Molly Shanahan/Mad Shak, Cerulean Dance Theatre, Rebecca Rosen, Melanie Bales, Bebe Miller, a reconstruction of Mark Morris’ All Fours, and Susan Marshall’s acclaimed ARMS. He is the resident choreographer and dance chair at Trollwood Performing Arts School in Moorhead, MN and serves on the Executive Board of the American College Dance Association (ACDA) as Vice President for Nominations and Elections.
- Long-Distance Choreographic Collaboration
- Choreographic Dance Theatre
- The Intersectionality of Form – Dance, Theatre, Poetry, and Design
- Artistic Director, RE|dance group, Chicago, IL (2008-Present)
- Mainstage Musical Choreographer, Trollwood Performing Arts School, Moorhead, MN (2016-Present) “Abbot & Viv”, New Dance For Asia International Festival, Seoul, South Korea, 2016 Campus:
- Member, Dept. of Theatre and Dance Advocacy, Allyship, and Access Committee (2020-Present)
- Member, Program Review Subcommittee (2019-Present)
- Member, Faculty Council (2015-2016)
- Co-Chair, Assessment Subcommittee (2009-2013)
- Vice President for Policy and Procedures, American College Dance Association, (2021-Present)
- Member, National Dance Education Organization (2012-Present)
- Vice President for Nominations and Elections, American College Dance Association, (2018-2021)
- North-Central Regional Director, American College Dance Association (2011-2018)
Dance training takes discipline, commitment, and perseverance. You must be willing to explore unknown territories in your creative space in hopes that you can uncover a gold mine of deep curiosity, personal expression, and artistic truth.