The School of Health Promotion & Human Development at the University
of Wisconsin-Stevens Point offers a graduate-level teaching licensure
program in Family & Consumer Sciences (FCS) that can also lead to a master's degree in Community & Organizational Leadership or Education.
The program consists of 22-25 credits
which can be applied toward
progress in one of UWSP's master's degree programs, such as Community & Organizational Leadership or Education. You may be able to earn your master's degree with as few as 9 additional credits beyond the FCS curriculum.
The program can be completed in 18
Who will benefit from the program
The FCS graduate-level certification program will provide opportunities
for licensed teachers to add a new license in the area of Family and
Consumer Sciences. In addition, people who hold a bachelor's degrees can
gain coursework for FCS teacher licensure, in a condensed format.*
The program will provide the opportunity for:
- Teachers already licensed in a discipline other than Family and Consumer Sciences to gain certification in FCS Education.
- Licensed teachers to move forward in their PDP while attaining an additional certification.
- Participants to dovetail required credits with our existing Master's
programs in Community and Organizational Leadership and Education.
- Individuals who hold a non-teaching bachelors degree to gain
coursework for FCS teacher licensure, in a condensed format, while
completing additional requirements for an initial teaching license. For
additional requirements needed by a non-teaching bachelors degree
holder interested in this program click here.
*Some students may need to take requisite undergraduate courses to qualify for the FCS graduate licensure program.
Licensure in Family & Consumer Sciences is available to individuals who have met the following criteria:
- Possess an undergraduate degree and teaching certification in a
discipline other than FCS education or has completed requisite
undergraduate courses* necessary to qualify for licensure.
- Complete all required courses as listed in the course curriculum.
- Meet minimum overall GPA of 3.0.