School of Health Sciences and Wellness
Health Science Degree
Major News: Health Science and Wellness
Effective Spring 2023
The health science and health promotion and wellness majors will merge into the health science and wellness major. Contact our advisers for more information.
Start your foundation for an advanced healthcare career
The health science major at UW-Stevens Point will prepare you with an interdisciplinary and liberal arts foundation for a variety of professional careers within the health care system. Courses emphasize the human, behavioral and physical sciences and foster an appreciation of the complexities of the health care system through four options of study:
- Health Care Administration
- Pre-Athletic Training
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
Why study Health Science at UW-Stevens Point?
Grow your education as your career advances with UW-Stevens Point health programs at the associate, bachelor’s and master’s level. Begin your education with a professional associate degree in health sciences. Transition seamlessly to the Bachelor of Science in Health Science to complete your four-year degree in just four more semesters. When the time is right for you, join the graduate programs in athletic training, physical therapy, healthcare administration or health and wellness management to strengthen your professional skills and meet certification requirements.
Hired Before Graduation
Alexis Walters ’21
Alexis Walters ’21 was hired before graduation at TVG-Medulla in Oak Brook, Ill., as a chiropractic technician.
Health Science-Health Care Administration
Insights of Interns
Mikayla Toboyek interned at the Marshfield Clinic Health System as an innovation, quality and patient safety intern.
Where are they now?
UW-Stevens Point alumni live and work all over the world—so if you’re looking for networking opportunities close to a new home or contact info for fellow Pointer in another city, you’re in luck. Looking for a fellow Pointer near you or want to add your pin? Start with our map.
What to Expect?
The health science major helps you learn more about career options in health care and prepares some students for graduate-level specialties including:
- athletic trainer*
- physical therapist*
- occupational therapist*
- rehabilitation aide
- health services director
- community outreach coordinator
- research assistant
- benefits manager
- nursing home administrator
- patient access coordinator
- medical biller/coder
- medical office assistant
- claims manager
- account manager
*Requires advanced degree.
Spring Semester: Nov. 1
Summer and Fall Semesters: March 15
- Use this checklist as a guide to make sure you have completed all the required materials.
- Save all forms as Microsoft Word documents using the format indicated for each. This would be your last name and the abbreviations listed below.
- Review Hours/Credit Ratio Chart for expectations of hours each intern will be required to work.
- Review UWSP’s Experiential Learning Sites or speak to Jodi Olmsted (D144 Science Building) for information about establishing experiential learning opportunities in your community or place of employment.
ALL FORMS MUST BE TYPED and emailed to the School of Health Sciences and Wellness by the due date. Please contact Jodi Olmsted, Internship Coordinator, for any questions or concerns.
BE SURE TO PROOFREAD ALL THE FORMS!
- Application – Save as Last Name-App. Complete the application, including the reference section. Ask the individuals you are using as references if they are willing to serve as a reference. Be sure to verify the person’s email address and add the email address to the application under the person’s name in the reference section. If you need to redo the application, click on Application and complete. Email application to the School of Health Sciences and Wellness by the due date.
- Resume – Update or create a resume and save as Last Name-Resume and email attachment to the School of Health Sciences and Wellness by the due date.
- Reference Form – ONLY complete Section 1 and put your name on the top of page 2. Save as Last Name-Ref. Do not give this form to your reference to complete. Inform your reference that a reference form link will be emailed to them from the School of Health Care Professions office. Email Reference form to the School of Health Sciences and Wellness by the due date.
- Internship Preference Form – Save as Last Name-Pref. Indicate your Internship preference on this form. Make your choices from the following list: UWSP Experiential Learning Sites. Email Internship Preference from to the School of Health Sciences and Wellness by the due date.
Upon confirmation of placement, you will receive an email with additional information and forms that will need to be completed and returned by the due date indicated.
*Please note that meeting or exceeding the requirements for eligibility to apply for the Experiential Internship does not guarantee placement.
Get Involved on Campus
Joining a health-related student organization, you may help with blood drives, raise funds for overseas orphanages, strategize and plan for graduate school and network with professionals from allied health care fields.
- Health Care Organization
- Pre-Med Club
- Sports Medicine Club
Meet Your Faculty and Staff
The faculty and staff members of the School of Health Sciences and Wellness are committed to developing professionals who study, promote and model lifelong wellness for individuals, families and communities, building a stronger, healthier community.
- Assistant Professor – M.S. in Athletic Training
- Clinical Assessment Coordinator – M.S. in Athletic Training
- Program Director – Health Science and Wellness
- Manager – SPLASH Swimming Program
- College of Professional Studies Diversity Task Force
- Academic Director – Health Information Management and Technology (HIMT)
- Professor – Health Science
- Director – M.S. in Healthcare Administration
- Professor – Health Sciences and Wellness
- Adviser and Coach – Curling Association of UWSP
- Placement Coordinator – Health Science (HS) Undergraduate Experiential Learning
- Graduate Faculty – Athletic Training
- Clinical Coordinator – Athletic Training
- Associate Lecturer – Health Science
School of Health Sciences and Wellness