Coordinator, Health Promotion and Wellness
Professor, Health Promotion and Wellness
Office: CPS 224
Areas of Expertise
Current Undergraduate Classes Taught
- HPW 312 Exercise Physiology
- FN 450/650 Sports Nutrition for Fitness and Athletic Performance
- HPW 450 Internship in Health Promotion and Wellness
- HPW 430 Advanced Practicum in Health Promotion and Wellness: Health and Human Performance Lab
- Health and Fitness Assessment
- Sports Nutrition
- Evaluating Fitness Claims
- Fitness across the Lifespan
- Endurance Performance
- Respiratory limitations to exercise
- Ph.D. Kinesiology, University of Wisconsin-Madiso, 2001
- M.S. Kinesiology - Exercise Physiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1997
- B.S. Zoology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1988
- 2015-current Professor, School of Health Promotion and Human Development (HPHD), University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (UWSP)
- 2010-15: Associate Professor, HPHD, UWSP
- 2007-10: Health Promotion Unit Coordinator, HPHD, UWSP
- 2004-10: Assistant Professor, HPHD, UWSP
- 2004-current: Director, Health and Human Performance Lab (UWSP)
- 2003-04: Associate Lecturer, joint appointment- HPHD/Health, Exercise Science and Athletics, UWSP
- 2003: Lecturer, Mid-State Technical College, Marshfield, Wisconsin
- 2002: Consultant (web design and graduate program promotion) HPHD, UWSP
- 2001: Visiting Professor, Department of Biology, University of Wisconsin-Marshfield/Wood County
- 2001: Lecturer, Department of Kinesiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2000-02: Researcher, BONES project, Tufts University, Boston, MA
- 1994-96: Project Assistant, Department of Kinesiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1988-94: Study Coordinator, Toxicology, Hazleton Laboratories, Madison, Wisconsin
- 1987-88: Student Research Assistant, Zoology Research Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Wetter AC, Wetter TJ, Schoonaert KJ. Fitness and Health in College Students: Changes across 15 Years of Assessment. JEPonline 2013;16(5):1-9.
Dempsey, JA, M Amann, CA Harms, TJ Wetter. Respiratory System Limitations to Performance in the Healthy Athlete: Some Answers, More Questions!
Sportmedizin German Journal of Sports Medicine 63:157-162;2012
Baumann, CW, TJ Wetter. Aerobic and anaerobic changes in collegiate male runners across a cross-county season.
Int J Exer Science 3:225-232;2010
McClaran, SR, TJ Wetter. Low doses of caffeine reduce heart rate during submaximal cycle ergometry.
J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 4:11;2007
Wetter, TJ, Z Xiang, DA Sonetti, HC Haverkamp, AJ Rice, AA Abbasi, KC Meyer, JA Dempsey. Role of lung inflammatory mediators as a cause of exercise-induced arterial hypoxemia in young athletes.
J Appl Physiol 93:116-126;2002
Wetter, TJ, CM St. Croix, DF Pegelow, DA Sonetti, JA Dempsey. Effects of exhaustive endurance exercise on pulmonary gas exchange and airway function in women. J Appl Physiol 91:847-858;2001
Sonetti, DA, TJ Wetter, DF Pegelow, JA Dempsey. Effects of respiratory muscle training versus placebo on endurance exercise performance. Resp Physiol 127:185-199;2001
St Croix, CM, BF Morgan, TJ Wetter, JA Dempsey. Fatiguing inspiratory muscle work causes reflex sympathetic activation in humans. J Physiol (Lond) 529(2):493-504;2000
Harms, CA, TJ Wetter, CM St. Croix, DF Pegelow, JA Dempsey. Effects of respiratory muscle work on exercise performance.
J Appl Physiol 89(1):131-138;2000
Gazdag, AC, TJ Wetter, RT Davidson, KA Robinson, MG Buse, AJ Yee, LP Turcotte, GD Cartee. Lower calorie intake enhances muscle insulin action and reduces hexosamine levels. Am J Physiol 278:R504-R512;2000
Wetter, TJ, CA Harms, DF Pegelow, WB Nelson, JA Dempsey. Influence of respiratory muscle work on VO2 and leg blood flow during submaximal exercise.
J Appl Physiol 87(2):643-651;1999
McClaran, SR, TJ Wetter, DF Pegelow, JA Dempsey. Role of expiratory flow limitation in determining lung volumes and ventilation during exercise.
J Appl Physiol 86(4):1357-1366;1999
Wetter, TJ, AC Gazdag, DJ Dean, GD Cartee. Effect of calorie restriction on in vivo glucose metabolism by individual tissues in rats.
Am J Physiol:Endo 276:E728-E738;1999
St Croix, CM, TJ Wetter, DF Pegelow, KC Meyer, JA Dempsey. Assessment of nitric oxide formation during exercise.
Am J Resp Crit Care Med 159(4 pt 1):1125-1133;1999
Harms, CA, TJ Wetter, SR McClaran, DF Pegelow, GA Nickele, WB Nelson, P Hanson, JA Dempsey. Effects of respiratory muscle work on cardiac output and its distribution during maximal exercise.
J Appl Physiol 85(2):609-618;1998
Dean, DJ, AC Gazdag, TJ Wetter, GD Cartee. Comparison of the effects of 20 days and 15 months of calorie restriction on male Fischer 344 rats.
Aging Clin Exp Res 10(4):303-307;1998
Cartee, GD, TJ Wetter, AN Guerra, TN Cox. Decline in muscle insulin-dependent and -independent glucose uptake but not GLUT-4 in 21- vs. 28-day-old rats.
Am J Physiol:Endo 272:E446-E452;1997
Wetter, TJ and JA Dempsey.
Pulmonary System and Endurance Exercise in Endurance in Sport. RJ Shephard and PO Astrand (eds), 2nd ed., Blackwell Science, 2000, Ch. 5, p. 52-67.
Harms, CA, TJ Wetter, JA Dempsey.
Breathing in exercise in
Rehabilitation of the patient with respiratory disease. NS Cherniack et al. (eds) McGraw-Hill, 1999, Ch. 7, p. 87-96.
- Effects of post-workout nutritional intervention during resistance training.
- This research project involves a five-week resistance training intervention combined with post-workout nutrition in the form of whey protein or a whole food alternative.
Previous Courses Taught
- FYS 101 Running and the Meaning of Life, UWSP