College of Natural Resources
Paper Science and Engineering Degree
STUDY THE ENGINEERING, SCIENCE, AND TECHNOLOGY BEHIND PAPER MANUFACTURE IN A FIELD WITH 100% JOB PLACEMENT.
We are the home of the only pilot-scale paper machine laboratory in Wisconsin. This offers you unique opportunities to learn, including all aspects of the safe and efficient operation of the equipment.
Why Study Paper Science and Engineering at UW-Stevens Point?
The Paper Science and Engineering program at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point nurtures students’ interest in math, chemistry, physics, and engineering to prepare them for engineering careers in Wisconsin’s most sustainable industry.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The Paper Science and Engineering curriculum is grounded in the fundamental engineering and science of papermaking, ensuring you are prepared for career opportunities in all areas of the industry.
Career opportunities are available in Wisconsin, across the country, and worldwide. Our graduates are in demand because they are well prepared for process engineering positions in Wisconsin’s most sustainable manufacturing industry. Job titles include:
- process engineer
- sales account manager
- project manager
- new product development
- research and development engineer
- quality assurance manager,
- and many others.
Our graduates have career opportunities in Wisconsin, across the country, and worldwide. About 50% of our graduates stay in Wisconsin. Many work in other countries.
GET INVOLVED ON CAMPUS
Discover your passions, build your resume, and make friends along the way! Whether it is joining a student organization, working on our best-in-class pilot-scale paper machine, or participating in research with one of our faculty, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get involved.
- There are many opportunities for you to work side-by-side with faculty and staff, conducting scientific research and performing laboratory analysis. You can present your research findings at professional meetings, conferences, and our annual Jim and Katie Krause CNR Student Research Symposium.
- Read the CNR Reporter, a weekly newsletter, for information on upcoming presentations, student organization meeting times, and other important happenings on and around campus.
GAIN EXPERIENCE OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
You will have opportunities to work in manufacturing facilities in well-paid internships. These internships involve a variety of experiences, from laboratory testing to ensure product quality and efficient operation to project work that improves the facility’s profitability. Each internship experience offers different challenges and increased levels of responsibility.
Research in a specialized field of interest (biofuels production, recycled fiber quality, etc.) is possible through collaborations with department faculty and often results in publications in the scientific literature.
Meet Your Faculty and Staff
Faculty within the Paper Science and Chemical Engineering Department bring a wide array of knowledge and experience to our classrooms at UW-Stevens Point.
Seyed Javad Amirfakhri
- Assistant Professor of Paper Science and Chemical Engineering
- Professor and Department Chair
- Paper Science and Chemical Engineering
- College of Natural Resources
- Associate Professor of Paper Science and Chemical Engineering
- Technical Consultant for the Wisconsin Institute for Sustainable Technology
Chemical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org
Paper Science and Chemical Engineering Department