College of Letters and Science
IT Leadership Certificate
Learn to Lead IT. 100% Online.
Organizations need leaders with deep technical understanding to apply technology solutions to business problems. The UW Graduate Certificate in IT Leadership helps you build the skills you need to step into roles such as Chief Technology Officer or Chief Information Officer. Learn the communication, finance and budgeting, and management skills you need to position yourself for success.
What You’ll Learn
The certificate curriculum was expertly designed to focus on the business skills needed to drive IT leadership. Topics of study include:
- Organizational communication skills such as crucial conversations, evidence-based decision making, and change management strategies
- Strategic planning processes
- IT governance and ethical considerations
- General and project accounting practices
- Integrating budgeting with project scheduling
Why Enroll in Graduate Certificate for IT Leadership?
The University of Wisconsin Graduate Certificate in IT Leadership focuses on the real-world applications and practices that support the day-to-day technical operations of business functions. Deepen your knowledge of the technology side of IT management and learn the state-of-the-art tools and software used to run IT applications on a large scale in contemporary business environments. Prepare to feel more confident leading an IT team.
Choose a Home Campus
The IT Leadership Graduate Certificate is a partnership of UW Extended Campus and UW-La Crosse, UW-Oshkosh, UW-Parkside, UW-Stevens Point, and UW-Superior
WHAT TO EXPECT?
The Graduate Certificate in IT Leadership represents an in-program certificate and credential within the existing and well-established MS in Information Technology Management (ITM) program. The certificate program is offered as a fully online, asynchronous curriculum comprised of three existing foundational courses (9 credits) within the ITM curriculum.
All course content is delivered through the program’s online learning management system. Students must earn a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA in certificate coursework. We’ve developed a superior virtual lab for students to remotely access dozens of tools such as SQL Server and Tableau.
Applying to the Graduate Certificate in IT Leadership program
- Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or higher undergraduate GPA
- Completed coursework with a “C” or better—or demonstrated sufficient knowledge—in programming (object oriented, modern language), database, and computer networking. Program academic directors have the option to waive a prerequisite based, in part, on student work experience and background. Technical certifications such as Oracle, Microsoft, IBM, AWS, Cisco, or professional experience may be used in lieu of formal coursework to demonstrate proficiency at the discretion of the academic adviser at the student’s home campus. If you need to complete prerequisite coursework, this pre-approved list of options may assist you. Please contact an enrollment adviser for details.
- Your resume
- Two letters of recommendation (can be professional or academic)
- Up to 1,000 word statement of personal intent describing your decision to pursue the degree and what you believe you will bring to the information technology management field
- No aptitude test (GRE, GMAT) requirements
*Campuses may waive some of these requirements as part of the comprehensive application process.
This program welcomes online students from around the world. Online students do not qualify for an F-1 Student Visa to travel to the U.S. but instead can participate in our online courses remotely. If your native language is not English and/or you attended school outside of the U.S., you will likely need to provide proof of English language proficiency and an official translation or evaluation of academic transcripts.
The IT Leadership Graduate Certificate is approved by the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents and is pending approval by the Higher Learning Commission.
Related Graduate Certificates: