Experience and Interests
- Professor, UW-Stevens Point (2007-present)
- Adjunct Instructor, Missouri Southern State College (1997-2000)–currently known as Missouri Southern State University
- Adviser, Miles of Smiles student organization (2018-present)
- Chair, UWSP College of Professional Studies Personnel Guidelines Committee (2019-2020)
- Member, UWSP Diversity Council (2019-2020)
- Faculty representative (2014-2021) and executive committee (2019-2021), UW System Office of Professional Instruction and Development (OPID) Council
- Member, Portage County United Way Born Learning Committee (2018-present)
- Board Member, Community Industries Corporation, Stevens Point (2008-2016)
- Member, American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Coordinating Committee Member-at-Large (2017-2018), Associate Coordinator (2018-2020), Coordinator (2020-present): ASHA Special Interest Group 10–Issues in Higher Education
- Member and Social Media Committee Chair (2020-present), ASHA Board of Special Interest Group Coordinators
- Member, Social Media Committee Council for Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (2016-2019)
- Editorial Reviewer, Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences and Disorders (2016-present)
- Member, Wisconsin Speech and Hearing Association
- Member, International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Member, International Cleft Lip and Palate Foundation
Presentations and Publications
- Terrell, P. A., & Osborne, C. (2020). Teaching competence in counseling: A focus on the supervisory process. Seminars in Speech and Language, 41(4), 325-336.
- Seidler, E., Smith, M., Whipple, J, & Terrell, P.A. (2021). Reframing Autism: The Costs and Complexities of Camouflaging, “Passing” as Neurotypical, and “Coming Out.” Virtual recorded seminar at the Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Washington, DC
- Ile, J., Leick, M., & Terrell, P.A. (2021). Does This Treatment Work?: Becoming an Informed Consumer. Virtual seminar at the Circles of Life Conference, Wisconsin.
- Terrell, P.A. (2019). Imaginology in Classroom and Clinic: Infusing CSD Pedagogy with the Arts to Enhance Learning. Seminar presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association National Convention, Orlando, FL.
- Klatt, C., Kopacz, K., Schneider, D., & Terrell, P.A. (2019). The ABCs—Apps, Babies, Communication: YouTube Analysis of Infants’ and Toddlers’ Smartphone and Tablet Interactions. Seminar presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association National Convention, Orlando, FL.
Last book you read?
Currently reading Jack by Marilynne Robinson and The Color of Compromise by Jemar Tisby
Best advice you ever received?
When decisions are being made, look around and ask “who isn’t being represented here?,” then invite them to take a seat at the table.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
A writer, a neonatalogist, or a neurologist.
Earth’s crammed with Heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes-
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.
–Elizabeth Barrett Browning
One thing about your school that you are most proud of?
I’m proud of how much everyone in our department genuinely likes and respects each other and I’m proud of how we are growing in our support and understanding of students from diverse backgrounds.
What do you enjoy most about teaching?
Getting to know students, witnessing their “a ha!” moments of learning, and watching their confidence grow.
A piece of advice for students in your school?
Ms. Frizzle said it best: Take chances. Make mistakes. Get messy.