FAQs for Applicants to the UW-Stevens Point Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Program - U.S. Citizens

What prerequisite courses do I need to complete in order to apply for the M.S. and Au.D. programs?

For M.S. SLP applicants: Normal speech/language development, phonetics, anatomy and physiology of speech and language, articulation/phonology disorders, child language disorders, speech and hearing science, aural rehabilitation, audiometry, clinical procedures (and 25 hours of clinical observation), plus coursework in human biology, statistics, social science, and physics or chemistry.
For Au.D. applicants: Normal speech/language development, speech and hearing science, introduction to audiology, plus coursework in human biology, statistics, social science, and physics or chemistry. Optional requirements (may be met within AuD curriculum) are: 25 hours of observation, course in manual communication/use of interpreters/assistive technology, aural rehabilitation.

What if I am missing a prerequisite course? Can I still apply?

Yes. You can still apply to the graduate program even if you are missing a prerequisite course or two. However, if you are accepted to the graduate program, you must complete the prerequisite course(s) prior to beginning the graduate program in September. If your university doesn’t offer the prerequisite, check out community colleges for the science and math prerequisites and CSD online/distance programs for the CSD-specific courses.

I have a college degree in a field other than Communication Sciences and Disorders. Can I apply to graduate school?

You will not be able to apply to a graduate program until you complete a post-baccalaureate (post-bacc) program. These are also referred to as leveling or capstone programs. A post-bacc program usually takes one year or two full semesters to complete. You will be enrolled as a “special” (non-matriculating/non-degree-seeking) student. Therefore, you won’t be working toward a second bachelor’s degree, rather just completing the required prerequisite courses that form the foundational knowledge that you need to know before enrolling in a graduate program. We offer an on campus one-year (two semester) post-baccalaureate program that meets the requirements. Contact Sondra Reynolds for more information.

How many students apply for graduate school and how many are accepted?

In a typical admissions cycle, over 200 students apply for 30 slots in the M.S. speech-language pathology program and approximately 75 students apply for 5 slots in the UWSP Au.D. program and 10 slots in the UW-Madison Au.D. program.

Who should write my letters of recommendation?

It is recommended that at least two of your three letter-writers be CSD instructors or clinical supervisors who can specifically address your academic and/or clinical skills and your potential for success in graduate school. If you have been involved in research, even in another discipline, the principal investigator would also be a good person to ask for a letter. Letters from family members (even if in an allied health or education field) or speech-language pathologists/audiologists whom you have only shadowed aren’t recommended.

Is there a minimum cut-off score for the GRE?

Although we prefer scores around the 50th percentile or higher, there is no minimum score. However, if you have low GRE scores, it’s always a good idea to take a different study tact and try a second time. Ultimately the GRE score is just one piece of the admissions puzzle with overall GPA, CSD GPA, letters of recommendation, and letter of intent also playing important roles. 

I’ve had to work throughout college to pay for my education and haven’t been involved in many extra-curricular activities. Will this hurt my application?

No. Your academic record and scholastic achievements are assessed first and foremost. If you are concerned about a lack of extra-curricular or service involvement, feel free to explain or discuss in your personal statement.

Do I need to do an in-person interview?

No. We don’t require interviews currently.

Do I need to send my transcripts to UWSP?

While, in addition to applying to CSDCAS, you DO need to complete a separate application to UWSP, you DO NOT need to submit your transcripts at that time. We will request your transcripts later if you are accepted to the program. For audiology applicants, follow these instructions.

Will you notify me about my status?

We often receive calls from applicants who want confirmation that their application was uploaded to CSDCAS. We cannot respond to those calls or update each student. You can check with CSDCAS to find out if your application has been received and later, verified. Once you have applied and decisions have been made, you will be notified in March if you have been accepted, placed on the waiting list, or denied admission. If you are on the waiting list, we do not notify you about rank, how many people are ahead of you, etc.

When will I find out if I am accepted?

Keep in mind that we have over 200 SLP applications to review and every application is reviewed by at least two people. This takes time. You will be notified in March and will have until April 15 to decide if you accept. If you are on the waiting list and we have additional openings in the cohort, you will be notified in April as those openings occur.

When should I ask for letters of recommendation?

The sooner the better! Professors are busy and we appreciate all the work they do for us.  It is important to give them plenty of time to complete your letters, especially because you are likely not the only student asking them for a letter of recommendation. Also, do NOT ask them to write you a letter with the folder in your hand. This may appear that you are expecting them to say “yes,” when they may not have time or be able to write your letter. To avoid an awkward situation, ask in advance and bring them your folder within the next week or two. 

When should I submit my applications?

It is recommended that students submit their application to CSDCAS one month prior to the application due date. This gives the people at CSDCAS time to scan your documents and ensure all of the information you included is accurate.  

What address should I use?

Your “current address” is whatever address you want your CSDCAS mail sent to (i.e. decisions from universities). NOTE: most universities send an email informing the student of their acceptance or denial prior to mailing a letter.  

Do I have to record all universities I received credit from?

Yes, you need to record all colleges you have received credit from, even if it does not pertain to your major (or minor). Regardless of the number of credits you earned, you only need to report each university once. You should include college courses taken in high school, summer courses, community college courses, military institutions, post-baccalaureate, graduate & doctoral work, study abroad and foreign work. NOTE: You are also required to provide a transcript for every one of these universities. 

When do I pay to apply?

Paying is the last thing you do before submitting your application. NOTE: you pay a fee for every school you apply to (there is not just one flat rate). 

How do I upload a CV or resume to CSDCAS?

If the university is requiring a CV or resume, it may help to upload your file as a PDF. Previous seniors have found that uploading a document in Word causes the content to become disorganized. 

What is the Academic Update?

Academic Update is a short time which you may update any coursework completed since you originally submitted your application. Once the coursework has been updated, you would send new transcripts to CSDCAS and we will update your GPA to reflect your newly earned grades. Using this system requires the following:
  • Academic Update is open for approximately 8 weeks. It opens mid-December of each year and closes mid-February of the following year. Check the CSDCAS website for exact dates.
  • Application Must Have A Status of “VERIFIED”
    • Applicants cannot use Academic Update until their application has already been verified the first time.
  • Works on Fall or Spring terms ONLY
    • Academic Update is intended to allow you to change your previously planned/in-progress courses to completed and report your grades for this work. You may also add future planned courses. The system will NOT allow you to go back and edit previously verified terms or add in terms you forgot to report from past years (i.e. you never updated your summer 2017 work before you were verified).
  • Update Can Only Be Used ONCE
    • You may only use Academic Update ONCE each application cycle. Once you update your coursework via academic update and submit the update to CSDCAS, you cannot update your coursework again.
  • Do NOT Send Updated Transcripts Prior to Submitting Your Academic Update

How do I do the Academic Update?

Visit Communication Sciences and Disorders Central Application Service (CSDCAS)
  • Once the Academic Update period opens in mid-December all applicants in a “verified” status may navigate to the “Coursework” section.
  • Click Edit under the school you want to update.
  • If the term has already been added as in-progress, click the BLUE PENCIL edit button on the term bar.
  • Next, uncheck the box that says “In-Progress/Planned.” This will allow you to add grades to your courses.
  • Once all courses are updated, click Save All to save changes.
  • Click Add Term to add any new planned or in-progress terms.
  • When you have finished adding or updating your coursework, you must complete the Transcript Review process by clicking “Review and Finalize my Transcripts.” THE FINAL BUTTON WILL SUBMIT YOUR ACADEMIC UPDATE. Do not click through this unless you are ready to submit your Academic Update.
  • Once you are ready, make sure you click through this button. CSDCAS will be unable to process your changes and your programs will NOT receive your updated coursework and grades if you do not complete this step.
  • You must submit your Academic Update no later than 11:59PM EST on the February deadline date. After this time, the Academic Update window will close and you will be unable to update your application. NO EXTENSIONS WILL BE GRANTED FOR ANY REASON.
  • Order updated transcript(s) to be sent to CSDCAS as soon as possible and monitor your application for their receipt. Academic Update transcripts do NOT need to be received by Feb. 15 in order to be processed as long as the Academic Update is SUBMITTED. AU verification will continue until the end of the cycle.
  • Once your updated transcript has arrived, you will be given an “Academic Update Complete Date” your application will go into line to have your updated coursework verified and your GPA recalculated. The verification process for AU can take up to four weeks from your Academic Update Complete Date, but the average turnaround is usually under two weeks. Once done, your application status will read as “Academic Update VERIFIED.”


*all information has been taken from CSDCAS FAQ section*

Return to Speech-Language Pathology Home