Robert Michitsch, Ph.D.
Phone: (715) 346-4190
Fax: (715) 346-3624
Office: TNR 276
I teach classes in the soil and waste resource areas, focusing on soil/plant analysis, biogeochemistry and waste resources topics. My current research interests include the compostability of plastics and polymers, compost microbiology, the breakdown of fluoropolymers, waste re-use and soil fertility
- B.Sc. – Env'l Sciences: Monitoring & Analysis, Env'l Degradation, University of Guelph
- M.Sc. - Soil Science (Waste Management), University of Guelph
- Ph.D. - Biological Engineering (Waste Management), Dalhousie University
- Agricultural Institute of Canada (AIC)
- Agronomy, Crop Science and Soil Science Societies of America (ASA-CSSA-SSSA)
- Air & Waste Management Association (AWMA)
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Canadian Society of Agronomy (CSA)
- Canadian Society of Soil Science (CSSS)
- International Union of Soil Scientists (IUSS)
- Soil Waste Association of North America (SWANA)
- United States Composting Council (USCC)
Postions Held: Academic
09/15 - Present: Associate Professor, Soil & Waste Resources, UW-Stevens Point
- 01/09 - Present: Wisconsin Institute of Sustainable Technology, Compostability Lab Co-Director, UW-Stevens Point
- 08/09 - 08/15: Assistant Professor, Soil and Waste Resources, UW-Stevens Point
Academic & Public Service Experience
- 01/17-Present SSSA Continuing Education for Soil Scientists Committee Chair
- 10/16-Present Sustainable Operations and Recycling (SOAR) Board of Directors
- 01/16-Present Composting Council Research and Education Foundation Trustee
- 11/14-Present UW-Stevens Point Coalition of Organizational Leadership (COOL) Faculty Advisor
- 01/14-Present USCC Board of Directors
- 01/14-Present UW-Stevens Point Sustainability Communities Advisory Committee
- 12/13-Present UW-Stevens Point Zero Food Waste Committee
- 01/13-Present PlantingScience Program Liaison for SSSA
- 01/13-Present ASTM Compost Disintegration Test Method Development
- 01/13-Present Botanical Society of America's Planting Science Program
- 08/12-Present UWSP Waste Management Society (WMS) Faculty Advisor
- 01/12-Present UW-Stevens Point Soil & Water Conversation Society (SWCS) Faculty Advisor
- 08/10-Present SASES Ambassador for UW-Stevens Point
- 01/13-12/16 Soil Science Society of America Board of Directors
Michitsch et al. 2015. Bacterial pathogen transport from livestock mortality biopiles. Journal of Environmental Quality 44(5): 1355-1365.
Michitsch, R et al. 2011. A system to evaluate livestock mortality biopiles. Journal of Applied Agricultural Research 3: 85-101.
Michitsch et al. 2010. Secondary fate of pathogenic bacteria in livestock mortality biopiles. World Congress of Soil Science. Brisbane, Australia.6 August 2010.
Michitsch et al.. 2008. Fertigation of cool season turfgrass species with anaerobic digestate wastewater. Floriculture and Ornamental Biotechnology 2(2): 32-38.
Michitsch et al. 2007. Use of wastewater and compost extracts as nutrient sources for growing nursery and turfgrass species. Journal of Environmental Quality 36(4): 1031-1041.
Michitsch et al. 2003. Use of spent mushroom compost leachate for growing turf and nursery species in hydroponic culture. Mushroom World 14 (3): 21-23.