Valerie H. Barske
and International Studies Coordinator
Office: CCC 453
Phone: (715) 346-4058
Fax: (715) 346-4489
Ph.D., University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
M.A., University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
B.A. Oglethorpe University
East Asia, Modern Japan, Cultural History of Okinawa, Women and Gender Studies, Social History of Empire, Theories of the Body and Embodiment.
HIST 102 - World History since 1500
HIST 216 - East Asia to 1600
HIST 217 - East Asia since 1600
HIST 315 - U.S. Occupation in Asia
HIST 316 - History of China
HIST 317 - History of Japan
HIST 323 - Topics in East Asia: Women in Japan
HIST 489 - Historiography of Women in East Asia
WGS 490 - Seminar: Women's Activism in East Asia
PAX 320 - Seminar: Women's Activism in East Asia
"Performing Embodied Histories: Colonialism, Gender, and Okinawa in Modern Japan"
- "Visualizing Priestesses or Performing Prostitutes?: Ifa Fuyu's Depictions of Okinawan Women (1913-1943)," in Studies on Asia: Interdisciplinary Journal of Asian Studies Series IV Vol. 3:1 (March 2013): 65-108.
- "Women and Japan's Political Economy," in Laura Hein ed. Japan Focus Course Packets for The Asia-Pacific Journal (November 2012).
- "Book Review of Writing Okinawa: Narrative Acts of Resistance and Identity," in The Journal of Asian Studies 70:2 (May 2011).
- “’Dancing Through’ Historical Trauma: Okinawan Performance in Post-Imperial Japan,” in Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific Issue 24: Special Issue on Trauma (April 2010).
- "Performance in East Asia and Oceania," in Gary Xu ed. Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Popular Cultures
Vol. 6, East Asia and Pacific Oceania. Westport CT: Greenwood Press,
2007. Series Awarded the 2008 Ray and Pat Browne Award for Best
Reference/Primary Sources Collection.
- "Nuchibana: Okinawans Performing Peace as Historical Protest," in Journal for the Anthropological Study of Human Movement 12:3.
- "Okinawa Omnibus: A Film Review," in Asian Educational Media Service News and Reviews 4:2
Works in Progress
- Book Manuscript: Making Waves, Moving Empires: Embodying Trauma, Activism, and Colonialism in Postwar Okinawa
- "Dancing Sexual Power and Performing Colonial Positions in Okinawa's Pleasure Quarters," Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting
- "Visualizing Priestesses or Performing Prostitutes?: Iha Fuyu's Depictions of Okinawan Women (1919-1932)," Midwest Conference on Asian Affairs, Western Michigan University, September 22, 2012.
- “Everyday Empire: Prostitutes, Teachers, and Reform
Women in Colonial Okinawa,” Panel Session: Towards a Social History of
Empire: Negotiating Norms in Imperial Japan, Association for Asian
Studies Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, March 2010.
- “Memory, Trauma, and Activism: Protest Artwork by Korean Survivors
of Sexual Violence,” Roundtable Session: Bringing East Asian History and
Culture to Life, Midwest Conference on Asian Affairs, Miami University,
- “The Floating World: Japanese Woodblock Prints from the Collection
of the Chazen Museum of Art,” Guest Co-Curator with Cortney Chaffin,
Edna Carlesten Gallery, UWSP, October 26-November 25, 2009
- “Dancing Historical Trauma in Okinawa: Kodama Kiyoko’s Performative
Acts of Healing,” Interrogating Trauma: Arts and Media Responses to
Collective Suffering, International Conference with Curtin and Murdoch
University, Perth Australia (Presented in Absentia), December 2008.
- “’We’re All Shimanchu (Island People)’: Gender Fluidity and
Alternative Identities in Contemporary Okinawan Activism,” (Organizer)
Panel Session: Reconfiguring Gender, Negotiating Neoliberalism in Global
Japan, American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting, San
Francisco, November 2008.
- “Ethnicized Difference, Nationalized Bodies: Women and
Intersectional Identities in Postwar Japan,” (Organizer) Panel Session:
Forging Junctions, Forcing Ruptures: Women and Intersectional Identities
in Japan, University of Wisconsin System Annual Women’s Studies
Conference, Madison, April 2008.
Honors and Awards
|Institute for Research in the Humanities, UW System Fellow|
Wisconsin Teaching and Scholars Fellow, UW System
||University Excellence in Teaching Award|
||Council for Undergraduate Research Posters on the Hill, Faculty Mentor|
||L&S Enhancement Grant "Re-Writing the Art of China"|
||College of Letters and Science Enhancement Grant, Support for “Japan—The Floating World”|
||Graduate College Dissertation Completion Fellowship, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign|
||Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship to Japan|
- American Historical Association (AHA)
- Association for Asian Studies (AAS)
- American Anthropological Association (AAA)
- Midwest Conference on Asian Affairs (MCAA)
- Midwest Japan Seminar (Link)
<< Back to faculty page