Paul Doruska, Ph.D.
Phone: (715) 346-3988
Fax: (715) 346-3624
Office: TNR 239
Paul Doruska is a professor of forest measurements. He has previously served as the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs within the College of Natural Resources. He teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in forest measurements, forest biometry, forest management and finance, forest products, natural resources communication and experimental design, & co-teaches the pulpcut/chainsaw safety course. Paul is involved with international programs and study abroad as he has led both the CNR European Environmental Field Experience course and the Natural Resources, Culture, and Archeology of the Maya World Winterim course. Paul takes great pride in serving as the co-faculty advisor to the UW-Stevens Point student chapter of the Society of American Foresters and its championship winning Woodland Sports team.
Paul maintains an active interest in research and professional service. His past research work has focused on stand density index-based management, weight scaling of timber, and developing equations to allow foresters to inventory timber by weight. Paul has mentored 18 students on projects in conjunction with the annual CNR Undergraduate Research Symposium. With respect to professional service, Paul remains active in the Society of American Foresters. At the national level he currently is a member of the National Educational Policy and Review Committee and is a past chair of the National Committee on Accreditation. He also has served as the North/Northeastern Regional Science Representative to the Forest Science & Technology Board, and as an associate editor for the Journal of Forestry. At the regional level Paul is currently the Foresters' Fund Chair for Wisconsin State Society and was also its Science and Technology Chair in the past.
- ASSOCIATE/FULL PROFESSOR - University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. 8/2006 - present.
- ASSOCIATE DEAN FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS – College of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. January 2012 to 2016.
- ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR – University of Arkansas-Monticello. 8/1998-7/2006.
- FOREST ANALYST – Boise Cascade Corporation, DeRidder, LA. 3/1995 – 7/1997. Oversaw inventory and harvest scheduling on ~700,000 acres of owned/managed forested land.
- GRADUATE TEACHING/RESEARCH ASSISTANT – Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA. 1/1991 – 3/1995; 7/1997 – 7/1998.
- BIOMETRICS INTERN – Westvaco Corporation, Summerville, SC. Summer 1993.
- Society of American Forester (1990-present, Certified Forester 2000-present)
- Arkansas Registered Forester (2000-present)
Select Professional Service
- Committee on Accreditation, Society of American Foresters (January 2013 – present)
- North/Northeastern Regional Science Representative, Society of American Foresters Forest Science & Technology Board (Dec 2010-2012)
- Wis. State Society of American Foresters - Science and Technology Chair (2008 – 2011)
- Associate Editor, Forest Measurements, Journal of Forestry (2005-2010)
- Resources Measurements Subject Area Representative, Society of American Foresters Forest Science and Technology Board (2005-2007)
- NAUFRP Summit: Forest Research for the 21st Century: Defining Strategic Directions and Rebuilding (2006)
- National Science Foundation Merit Review Panel (2005)
- Society of American Foresters Biometrics Working Group Officer (1999-2005)
- Chair, Southern Mensurationist Conference (2001)
Sampling of University/College Service
- Member, Enrollment Management Committee, Spring 2012 to present
- Member, Academic Affairs Committee, January 2012 - present
- Representative, Faculty Senate, Fall 2011 to present
- Member, University Equity Scorecard Taskforce, Fall 2010 to present
- Chair, Forest Mensuration faculty search committee, 2012
- Member, CNR Summer Field Experience Committee, Fall 2007 to present
- Authored for Standard V: Students in the 2011 Society of American Foresters Program Accreditation Self Study
- Faculty Representative to the UW-Stevens Point Foundation, Fall 2010 to 2012
- Representative, University Technology Committee, Fall 2008 to Spring 2010
- Chair, Forest Recreation Faculty Search Committee, Fall 2008–Spring 2009
- Faculty Mentor, Hyer Residence Hall then Thomson Residence Hall, 2008-2012
- Representative, University Faculty Affairs Committee, Springs 2007-2009
- Member, Forest Economics Faculty Search and Screen Committee, 2007
- Natural Resources 250 – Introduction to Fisheries, Forestry, and Wildlife
- Forestry 320 – Field Applications of Forest Measurements (Treehaven Field Station)
- Forestry 321/521 – Forest Biometry
- Forestry 322/522 – Forest Mensuration
- Forestry 381 – Forestry Internship (forestry internship co-coordinator)
- Natural Resources 405 - Pulpcut (weekend based field course)
- Natural Resources 405/605 – Advanced Forest Inventory
- Natural Resources 406/606 Natural Resources, Culture, and Archeology of the Mayan World (an International Programs Study Abroad Winterim course)
- Natural Resources 797 – Research Methods, Design, and Analysis
- First Year Seminar 151 - Cha-Ching: Finding the Best Deal Around for Me
Book Chapters and Series Publications:
Doruska, P.F. 2011. Hypothesis Testing. Society of American Foresters Forest Science and Technology Board Series on Statistics and Science. Topic No. 10. 9p.
Doruska, P.F. 2010. Confidence intervals: the average is just along for the ride. Society of American Foresters Forest Science and Technology Board Series on Statistics and Science. Topic No. 8. 12p.
Doruska, P.F. 2009. The hazards of examining just the average. Society of American Foresters Forest Science and Technology Board Series on Statistics and Science. Topic No. 7. 11p.
DuPlissis, J G., C.R. Blinn, B Cook, P. Doruska, and M.J. Baughman. 2009. Conducting a woodland inventory. Pages 9-24 in Baughman M.J., and K. Potter-Witter eds. Woodland Stewardship: A Practical Guide for Midwestern Landowners, 2nd edition. University of Minnesota Extension. 220p.
Peer Reviewed Publications:
Doruska, P.F., D.W.
Patterson, M.B. Hurd, and J.I. Hartley, 2013. Individual tree, merchantable
stem, green weight and volume equations for four bottomland hardwood oak
species in southeast Arkansas. P 28-34 In Proceedings of the 18th Central
Hardwoods Conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-117, Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department
of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station.
Patterson, D.W., P.F. Doruska, J.I. Hartley, and M.B. Hurd. 2011. Bulk density (scaling factor) of 14 hardwood species in Arkansas. Forest Products Journal 61(3):225-228.
Doruska, P.F., D. Patterson, J. Hartley, M. Hurd, and T. Hart. 2009. Newer technologies and bioenergy bring focus back to bark factor equations. Journal of Forestry 107(1):38-43.
Patterson, D.W., P.F. Doruska, J. Hartley, and M. Hurd 2007. Validating the Patterson and Doruska equation for estimating the volume of hardwood butt logs. Forest Products Journal 57 (1/2): 67-70.
Ficklin, R.L., S.R. Mehmood and P.F. Doruska. 2007. Integrating science into public policy: challenges and opportunities for improved forest carbon accounting. Journal of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences 1(1). Available at http://www.scientificjournals.org/journals2007/j_of_agri.htm (verified 26 Jan 2010)
Doruska, P., D. Patterson, J. Hartley, and M.Hurd. 2006. Outside-bark green tons per thousand board feet: a case study using sawtimber sized hardwood trees in Arkansas. Journal of Forestry104(7): 345-351.
Doruska, P.F., and D.W. Patterson. 2006. An individual tree, merchantable stem, green weight equation for loblolly pine pulpwood in Arkansas, including seasonal effects. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 30(2): 61-65.
Patterson, D.W. and P.F. Doruska. 2005. Effect of seasonality on bulk density, moisture content, and specific gravity of loblolly pine tree length pulpwood logs in southern Arkansas. Forest Products Journal 55(12):205-209.
Doruska, P.F., D.W. Patterson, and T.E. Posey. 2004. Stand-level green biomass equations for sawtimber-sized loblolly pine stands. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science 58:46-51.
Patterson, D.W., and P.F. Doruska. 2004. Weight and bulk density of loblolly pine plywood logs in southeast Arkansas. Forest Products Journal 54:145-148.
Patterson, D.W., and P.F. Doruska. 2004. A new and improved modification to Smalian's equation for butt logs. Forest Products Journal 54:69-72.
Doruska, P.F., R.C. Weih Jr., M.D. Lane, and D.C. Bragg. 2003. Quantifying forest ground flora biomass using proximal sensing. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science 57:37-43.
Posey, T.E and P.F. Doruska. 2003. Comparing the Use of 10-, 20-, and 30-factor prisms when conducting forest inventories in southeast Arkansas. Journal of the Arkansas Undergraduate Research Conference. pp 200-208.
Doruska, P.F. and W.R. Nolen Jr. 1999. Use of stand density index to schedule thinnings in loblolly pine plantations: a spreadsheet approach. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 23(1):21-29.
Patterson, D.W. and P.F. Doruska. 2008. Landowner’s guide to determining weight of standing hardwood trees. University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Service Fact Sheet FSA 5021. 4p.
Doruska, P.F. 2007. Commentary: Second annual science fund photo contest raises funds and awareness. Journal of Forestry 105(8):385.
Patterson, D.W., P.F. Doruska. 2007. Landowner’s guide to determining weight and value of standing pine trees. University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service Fact Sheet FSA5017. 4p.
Smith, J. and P.Doruska. 2007. Pulpcut course provides needed skills, funds student travel. The Forestry Source 12(11):8.
Patterson, D.W., J.I. Hartley, and P.F. Doruska. (2006) Board foot loss inherent in scaling double length logs. University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service Fact Sheet.
Doruska, P.F., R.C. Weih Jr., M.D. Lane, and D.C. Bragg. 2005. Quantifying forest ground flora biomass using close-range remote sensing. P 87-90 In Proceedings of the 4th Annual FIA Symposium and the 2003 Southern Mensurationist Meeting, Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252, St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station.
Posey, T.E., P.F. Doruska, and D.W. Patterson. 2005. Individual-tree green weight equations for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) sawtimber in the Coastal Plain of Arkansas. P. 53-58 In Proceedings of the 4th Annual FIA Symposium and the 2003 Southern Mensurationist Meeting, Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252, St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station.
Reynolds, T., and P.F. Doruska. 2005. Method Review: Inventories. Forest Farmer 24(1):34-40.
Doruska, P.F., R.B. Meeker Jr., and T.E. Posey. 2004. Use of miniature plantations to examine accelerated stand development in loblolly pine plantations: second year results. P. 391-394 In Proceedings of the 12th Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference, Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–71. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station.
VanderSchaaf, C.L., D.B. South, and P.F. Doruska. 2004. The power of statistical tests of herbicide trials in forest nurseries. P. 202-211 In Proceedings of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Southern Weed Science Society. January 2003.
Doruska, P.F. 2003. Development of a stand density index equation for slash pine (Pinus elliottii Englem.). P. 202-206 In Proceedings of the 3rd Annual FIA Symposium (meeting jointly with the 35th Midwest Mensurationist Meeting), Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230, St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station.
Doruska, P.F. 2002. What's in a stump? The volume and/or weight impact of varying stump heights. P. 7-11 In Proceedings of the 2002 Arkansas Forest Resources Center Symposium. May 23, 2002, Little Rock AR.
Doruska, P.F. 2002. Teaching Forest Measurements Online: An Overview of the Initial Experience at the University of Arkansas-Monticello. P. 19-24 In Proceedings of the 4th Biennial Conference on University Education in Natural Resources. Raleigh, NC. March 15-17, 2002. Natural Resources and Environmental Issues Volume IX. Library Publishing Center, College of Natural Resources, Utah State University.
Doruska, P.F., and D.W. Patterson. 2002. Using nonparametric regression to examine taper of irregular logs. P. 32-36 In Proceedings of the 2001 Southern Mensurationists' Conference, Chattanooga, TN. Nov. 5-6, 2001. Arkansas Forest Resources Center, Monticello, AR.
Doruska, P.F. and Bragg. DC. (eds.) 2002. Proceedings of the 2001 Southern Mensurationists' Conference. Arkansas Forest Resources Center, Monticello, AR. 43p.
Doruska, P.F. 2002. A Hands-On, Natural-Resource-Based Teaching Exercise: Wildlife Population Size Estimation Without Leaving the Classroom. Proceedings of the 2001 Joint Statistical Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Aug. 2-9, 2001.4p.
Honors and Awards
- 2011 – College of Natural Resources Outstanding Professional Service Award
- 2009 - UW-SP University Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2009 – College of Natural Resources Outstanding Teacher Award (peer selected)
- 2002 – Outstanding Junior Faculty Award – Univ. of Ark.-Monticello School of Forest Resources
- 2001 – Outstanding Junior Faculty Award – Univ. of Ark.-Monticello School of Forest Resources