Stacey Berk is Professor of Oboe and Music Theory/Composition at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. She is an active recitalist and chamber musician and is principal oboist with the Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra . She performed solo and chamber works at the 2021, 2009 and 2008 International Double Reed Society Conferences and has performed as a concerto soloist with the Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra, the UWSP Symphony, Chamber Orchestra and Wind Ensemble, the Marshfield Symphony and the Wausau Symphony. Stacey has performed on Wisconsin Public Radio’s “Live from the Chazen” series and at schools and venues across the Midwest. She is also a guest clinician and performer at numerous schools and colleges.
In addition to her current ensembles, Stacey Berk has performed with the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra, the Fox Valley Symphony Orchestra, the Cedar Rapids Symphony and the U.S. Air Force Band of the West, among others. She was a founding member of the Polaris Wind Quintet and previously taught at Grinnell College, Drake University and Our Lady of the Lake University.
In addition to performing and teaching, Stacey Berk is an active composer. Her engaging works have been performed around the world, and she has received commissions from the Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra, Indiana University of Pennsylvania Symphony Band, The Madera Trio, Wizards Double Reed Consort, the U.S. Air Force Band of Mid-America, Lake Park High School, Illinois, Westfield Community School, Illinois, Waupaca Middle School, the Midwest Double Reed Society, Drake University chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota, Point Dance Ensemble, and Polaris Wind Quintet. One of her band pieces was performed by the Wisconsin State Honors Band at Overture Center, Madison, fall 2022. Most of her works are available through Cocobolo Music Press.
- International Double Reed Society (1995-present)
- American Society of Composers, Publishers and Authors (2001-present)
- Principal Oboe, Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra, 2002-
- Oboe I or II, Fox Valley Symphony Orchestra, 2006-2008
- Oboe II, Des Moines Symphony Orchestra, 1999-2002
- US Air Force Band of the West, 1995-1999
Research/Creative Activity Interests
- Music composition
- Baroque oboe studies
- Oboe performance – solo recitals, chamber music, large ensembles
Honors and Awards
- UWSP Excellence in Teaching Award 2008-2009
- Western Illinois University School of Music Distinguished Alumnus Award 2010
- Board of Directors, Central Wisconsin Youth Symphony Orchestra
- Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra member
We have an amazing group of faculty who are terrific artists and teachers, who really care about the students, and amazing students who work hard, support each other and make outstanding music. I’ve been here a long time, and love the atmosphere of collegiality and that we produce strong graduates, ready to begin their careers.