Dr. Patrick Lawrence, Professor of Trombone, Euphonium, and Tuba at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, maintains a vibrant low brass studio and hosts the yearly UWSP Tuba Christmas Concert.
A passionate educator, he enjoys teaching students of all skill levels, elementary through college-age. He is active in educational outreach, working with students across the state in clinics and honor bands. He is the recipient of the 2013 UWSP Excellence in Teaching Award. Prior to accepting a position at UWSP, he taught middle school band and orchestra in Arizona where his student groups received superior and excellent ratings at local, state and national music festivals.
Dr. Lawrence teaches two hands-on summer instrument maintenance and repair courses for students and band directors to prepare them for the inevitable wear and tear on their school instruments.
An active performer, he is principal trombonist with the Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra and conductor of the Wausau Symphonic Band.
Website: UWSP Low Brass
- Book: Solo Literature for Low Brass and Organ, is an extension of his doctoral study and is now available from Amazon.com. A reference to over 220 solos for trombone, euphonium and tuba, it is intended to encourage interest in this rich collaboration of instruments.
- Article: Interactive Tools for Supplemental Instruction. Published in the Wisconsin School Musician Journal, April 2015, Volume 85, Number 3.
- Article: The New Era of Teacher Evaluation-Let’s Keep Our Eyes on the Prize! Published in the Wisconsin School Musician Journal, January 2015, Volume 85, Number 2.
- Article: Building a Better Band Begins in the Basement, Published September 2012, Wisconsin School Musician.
- Article: Thoughts About a DMA and How to Tackle a Dissertation, Published July 2011, International Trombone Association Journal Volume 39, Number 3.
Active and Integrative Music Education (AIME) Board Member.
- Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra — Principal Trombonist (2010-Present)
- Conductor/Music Director – Wausau Symphonic Band (2012-Present)
- National Association for Music Educators (2001-Present)
- Wisconsin Music Educators Association (2010-Present)
- International Trombone Association (1996-Present)
- International Tuba and Euphonium Association (2001-Present)
- National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (2016-Present)
The community, everyone, faculty, and students are invested in each other.