Mathew Buchman, professor and director of jazz studies at UW-Stevens Point, received his M.M. in Improvisation from the University of Michigan and his B.M. in composition and theory (jazz emphasis) from Lawrence University.
Additional studies have included composition with Lyle Mays, and jazz piano with John Harmon.
Since becoming director of jazz studies in 2000, Buchman has been instrumental in the growth of the program at UW-Stevens Point. Buchman’s students have been selected for Betty Carter’s Jazz Ahead; won awards such as the John Lennon Songwriting Contest and earned graduate teaching positions at Indiana University, UT-Austin, and the University of Northern Colorado. Mr. Buchman teaches jazz improvisation, composition/arranging, and jazz piano. As the director of the award-winning UWSP Jazz Ensemble, he has worked with John Scofield, Matt Wilson, The Yellowjackets, Bobby McFerrin, Kurt Elling, and Wynton Marsalis. Buchman has also served as faculty leader while teaching abroad in London.
Buchman’s performance experience is diverse. In addition to leading his own trio, he has performed with Karrin Allyson, Karl Berger, Tom Gullion, Randy Sabien, Michael Formanek, Tom Varner, and Matt Turner. Buchman has toured all over the U.S., Canada and Europe. He has twice performed on Wisconsin Public Radio’s Live from the Elvehjem, recorded with Ed Sarath, Bob Kase, singer-songwriter L.J. Booth, Jay Whitney, and Tom Washatka.
- Jazz Pedagogy
- Freelance Jazz Pianist: Performances include intimate venues to large theatres around the upper Midwest with Randy Sabien, Karrin Allyson, Michael Formanek, Dave Pietro, and the Wisconsin Jazz Orchestra (among others). Buchman also leads his own chamber jazz groups in concerts, festivals, and private events.
- Composer: Works for jazz ensemble, choir, orchestra, wind ensemble, and various chamber ensembles. Notable commissions by Lawrence University Jazz Program, Duluth Chamber Orchestra, UW-Stevens Point Wind Ensemble, Emmanuel United Methodist Church Choir (Appleton, WI), and Trinity Lutheran Church (Stevens Point, WI).
- Educator: Wisconsin State Honors Jazz Ensemble Conductor (2008, 2018), frequent guest clinician for collegiate/high school jazz festivals.
- Presenter/Host, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Annual Jazz Festival (2000-Present)
- Advisor, Jazz Society of UWSP
- Instructor, STEAM-POINT, College Days for Kids
- Artistic Director, Riverfront Jazz Festival
- Composer-in-Residence, Nelsonville Lutheran Church
- Member, National Association for Music Education (Nafme)
- Member, Association of Lutheran Church Musicians (ALCM)
- Member, International Society of Jazz Arrangers and Composers
Listen to as much music as possible, and return to those “touchstone” pieces/artists that help you remember why you are pursuing music.