Dr. Kathleen Miller Stumpf Julin is an artist, designer, and researcher, as well as a professor known for leading many European study abroad trips in Art, Architecture, and Design since 1986 (at Northern Illinois University) and continuing at the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point in 1992 for over 20 years of European summer travel with students (frequently with Dr. Larry Ball).
Her extended professional study includes semester research at the British Museum, British Library, and Royal Institute of British Architects Library, along with semester study at Musée du Louvre and Sorbonne Université, Paris; Université de Reims (French study); L’École des Beaux-arts de Reims, France; and post-graduate study at Parson’s School of Design, and New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting, and Sculpture – New York City (1970s alumni). Kathe’s Art work continues to be exhibited in current New York Studio School Exhibitions of Alumni.
Current works include the study of “Grand Tour” Travel Sketching and Journals. Other interest areas include: Travel Photography; People and Place Connections (cultural/history essays and artwork). Part of this work involved the UNESCO Camino Francés and walking this path of 500 miles over the Pyrenees across Northern Spain to Santiago de Compostela in 2018. Current work is on the study of water edges – Lake Michigan and the Northwest Pacific coast. An area of outreach work can be seen in her art blog on Sketching, Art, and Musings and her participation in the WorldWide Sketch Crawls three times a year. The Brooklyn Art Library has one of Kathe’s travel sketchbooks from Italy, published online, digital link: https://www.sketchbookproject.com/library/S71251. Kathe’s professional work has been presented at conferences and shown in exhibits over the years.
- University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point (professor emerita)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Northern Illinois University in DeKalb
- North Dakota State University in Fargo
- University of London – Birkbeck College Faculty Affiliate
Abbreviated Professional Vita is available online. Work in the Design Profession included store planning, retail, residential and office design.
Selected Scholarship Work:
- “Maker Spaces and Creativity.” Paper Presentation, Design Communication Association International Conference, Montana State University, Bozeman. (Julin, K., Marquart, K., Schmidt, W.), September 2016.
- “Travel Journals, and the Internet,” Paper Presentation, Design Communication Association International Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, October, 2013.
- “A Place to Amble.” In S. Peterman (Ed.) Create and Capture, Vol. IV, Brooklyn, NY: Art House. Julin, K. (2012).
- “Drawing History – History Drawing,” Bozeman, MT: Design Communication Association International Conference, (2012).
- 2020 CIDA Certificate of Appreciation for over 25 years of service in accreditation.
- 2019 1st Place Award. “Autumn Walk,” Visions Exhibit. Riverfront Arts Center, Stevens Point.
- 2017 Golden Ruler Award – UWSP Division of Interior Architecture. For 37 years of dedicated art and design teaching and 25 years of UWSP service
- 2015 UWSP Nominee for UW System Regents Teaching Excellence Award
- 2014 University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Excellence in Teaching Award
- 1992 EDRA Research Award – 1st Place (Research on “The Meaning of History in Place”)
- College Art Association
- Council of Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
Bring your amazing curiosity and imagination to the classroom, and with passion make good art. As Neil Gaiman notes – Leave the world more interesting for your being here!