COLS Historical Achievements
1951- Warren G. Jenkins named first dean of the College of Letters and Science
1963 – Science Building opened, constructed for $2 million.
1966 – Majors added in philosophy, psychology, and Spanish
1969 – International Programs office opened.
1970 – Reorganization and existing four colleges named. S. Joseph Woodka, previous chair in Department of Political Science, named dean after Jenkins’ retirement. Albertson Learning Resources Center opened including University Library and Museum of Natural History.
1980 – Math professor Howard Thoyre named third COLS dean after serving as assistant dean. Served twice as interim chancellor, in 1989 and 1995.
1986 – History professor Justus Paul named fourth COLS dean, experienced peak enrollment of 9,555.
2004 – Professor Lance Grahn, history chair of Marquette University, named fifth COLS dean.
2009 – Professor Christopher Cirmo named sixth COLS dean. Cirmo launched a civil discourse initiative, a number of degree programs, and was involved in the planning for the CBB at the time of his death.
2017 – Professor Eric Yonke, history, named interim COLS dean. He joined the History and International Studies Department faculty in 1990. He created the peace studies minor. He served as study abroad director for over a decade.
2018 – Opening of the Chemistry Biology Building.
2020 – Dr. Joshua Hagen, former dean at Northern State University, named eighth dean of the College of Letters and Science.
2020 – Reorganization for UWSP colleges. Thirteen departments in COLS organized into four schools: School of Behavioral and Social Sciences; School of Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry; School of Humanities and Global Studies; and School of Mathematics, Computing, Physics and Astronomy.