Student Organization Mailbox Information
All Student Organizations have an email account and
member distribution list created automatically. The Organization's email mailbox is included in the member distribution list.
A Student Organization email account functions the same as an individual email account, but displays the name of the student organization (ex: Chess Club).
Advisors of a Student Organization automatically receive access to the organization's email resources.
The advisor, president and treasurer of an organization designate which officers can access the email account and member distribution list for the organization.
For more information on Student Organization Distribution lists
Please note the words 'student organization' or 'organization', unless otherwise specified, means a recognized student organization according to the standards set by UWSP
Campus Activities and Student Engagement.
Benefits of a Student Organization Mailbox
- Recipients see your Student Organization name in the To: line as opposed to seeing each member who was sent the email.
- Messages sent from a Student Organization generally receive more attention than emails sent from personal mailboxes.
- Use your Student Organization email address on your Organization's web page for a more professional look and consistency across semesters.
- Student Organization email history is not lost. Messages pertinent to the organization are available to elected officers year after year.
- Recognized Student Organization mailboxes can be granted permission to send out large mailings to class, major and minor distribution lists.
Email Maintenance Information for Student Organization Officers and Advisors
Any officer with “All Access” or roster permissions in SPIN has the ability to assign “Email Access” permissions to other officers. Presidents, treasurers, and advisers have “All Access” and “Email Access” by default.
Instructions for managing SPIN rosters can be found in the User Guide on
Campus Links, at the bottom of the SPIN homepage once you have signed in.
Updates are made by CASE on a weekly basis. Requests for immediate additions can be made to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Notification about changes to the email account are sent on a timely basis to all advisers and any officers who have been granted access.
Student Organization Email Mailbox Naming Convention
The UWSP Postmaster will select an appropriate email name for the organization. The Postmaster will then develop an email alias and distribution lists for the organization based on the email name.
Email alias assigned by Postmaster.
The email display name matches the Long Name in SOD, unless the Long Name is over 47 characters, in which case the Short Name will be used.
Email Display Name: Adventure Racing Club Email Alias: arc
The email alias is often referred to as the nickname or just as the alias.
How Do You Access the Email Account?
Detailed instructions will be sent via email to all accounts authorized access to the account. Instructions are also available on the
general email FAQ page.