Fundamentals of QGIS and Avenza Maps
Treehaven, Tomahawk, WI
This course explores fundamental tasks performed in QGIS, a free, open-source desktop geographic information system (GIS), and Avenza Maps, a mobile application for field data collection.
Through this hands-on, field-based workshop, Christine Koeller, GISP and GIS Faculty Associate at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and Kevin Burns, Vallier Treehaven Forest Ecologist, will teach participants how to:
- Add GIS data to a QGIS project.
- Convert XYZ data in a spreadsheet or CSV file to GIS data.
- Create and edit attribute fields.
- Symbolize vector and raster layers.
- Add labels to vector features.
- Create georeferenced basemaps using QGIS for integration in the Avenza Maps mobile application.
- Collect field data with the Avenza Maps mobile application.
- Import Avenza Maps field data into QGIS.
- Create a map layout using Print Composer.
This workshop is pre-approved for 5.5 Category 1 (CF) CFE credits, 5 CFP CFE hours, and 1 GISP education point.
participants receive a FREE trial of Avenza Maps!
This workshop will focus on forest management applications. However, all natural resources professionals are welcome to attend.
Prior experience with GIS is preferred.
Questions regarding this workshop can be directed to Haley Frater at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions regarding the registration process can be directed to Continuing Education at 715-346-3838