University Advertisement Rules Regarding
Events with Alcoholic Beverages
Advertising of University events where alcoholic beverages will be consumed must be consistent with the educational philosophy of UWSP and follow these conditions:
- Advertisement for any University event where alcoholic beverages are being served must note the availability of non-alcoholic beverages and food as prominently as the alcoholic beverages.
- The messages conveyed in the promotion of any event must not encourage any form of misuse of alcohol.
- Publicity must not convey that consumption of alcohol is the purpose or reason for the event.
- Promotion must not refer to the amount/quantity of alcohol (5-keg party, etc.)
- Advertisements for events must not portray drinking as a solution to personal or academic problems or as necessary for social, sexual or academic success.
- Alcoholic beverages must not be provided as awards, door prizes or giveaways to individuals or campus organizations.
Violations of this policy will result in conduct referrals to the Student Organization Conduct Board (SOCB). The Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs or his/her designee must approve any exceptions to this policy. (Updated 5/11/04)
Advertising events on University sidewalks with chalk is permissible. Any marking on a University builidng or fixture, or using a permanent marking tool, is prohibited.
When a student organization sponsors an activity or program, on or off-campus, the organization is responsible for seeing that University policies, procedures and guidelines are followed and that local, state, and federal laws are observed. When two student organizations co-sponsor an activity or program, they are jointly responsible for seeing that those policies, procedures, guidelines, and laws are followed and observed. (Although the two groups can decide how specific tasks will be divided, they bear equal responsibility for the event.)