Title: Associate Professor, Vice Chancellor
Office: Main 202C
Phone: (715) 346-4446
Fax: (715) 346-4132
Environmental History and Politics; U.S. Political and Economic History;
History of Science and Technology; Industrialization and Consumption
HIST 176 - United States to 1877
HIST 177 - United States since 1877
HIST 204 - Modern Global Environmental History
HIST 280 - American Environmental History
HIST 300 - Methods and Skills of History
HIST 380 - American Environmental Politics
HIST 381 - Technology in American History
HIST 395 - Recent America since 1939
HIST 398 - Environmentalism in Wisconsin
HIST 489 - Consumer Society in the United States
HIST 490 - History of Wisconsin
HIST 598 - Topics in History:
- Environmental History for Teachers
- Water in American History
- Wildlife in American History
- Forests in American History
- Consuming Nature: Environmentalism in the Fox River Valley, 1850-1950. University Press of Kansas, September 2006.
- The Comforts of Nature: A Natural History of the American Home. University of Washington Press, Weyerhaeuser Environmental Books Series in progress.
- “Thinking Like a Homeowner: Toward a New Ethic of Environmentalism,” an invited lecture, Lawrence University, May 4, 2009.
- “Coming Home from the Woods: A Natural History of the American Living Room,” American Society for Environmental History, Annual Conference, Boise, ID, March 12-15, 2008.
- “A River of Paper? The Beginnings of Environmentalism in the Fox River Valley (and What We Can Learn Today)” an invited lecture, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, September 27, 2006.
- “Environmentalism and Sense of Place,” Wisconsin Book Festival, Panel Discussion, October 21, 2006.
- "Recreation, Industry, Agriculture: The Legacies of Conservation in Wisconsin," Northern Great Plains History Conference, Eau Claire, WI, October 1, 2005.
- "From Daylight Saving to Swimming Pools: Consumer Society and the Meaning of Nature as a Public Good," American Society for Environmental History, Annual Conference, Houston, TX, March 16-20, 2005.
- "Nature and Progress: Conservation in the Fox River Valley," invited lecture, Annual Conference of the Wisconsin Association of Land Conservation Employees, Appleton, WI, March 2, 2005.
Honors and Awards