Pilates Mat Instructor Training
Modules: Mat I and Mat II
The UWSP Balanced Body Pilates Mat Instructor training is comprised of the complete Pilates Mat repertoire as well as an introduction to the movement principles that make Pilates a uniquely successful exercise program. Our program is designed to empower you to become a successful, creative and transformative Pilates teacher.
Our Mat Instructor program includes
- Exercise instruction in the complete Pilates Mat repertoire
- Comprehensive manuals consistent with current national standards
- Cueing, coaching and teaching tips for clients with differing levels of ability
- Safety information for teaching older adults, pre- and post-natal women, and clients with back, knee, neck and shoulder conditions
- Tips on teaching successful group programs
Mat I (16 hours)
Introduction to Pilates & Beginning/Intermediate Exercises
Prerequisite*: 20 Pilates mat sessions
* Options for completing the prerequisite include the UWSP course DNCE 327: Pilates Workshop, and Mat classes offered at Studio B Pilates
Mat I includes an introduction to the history and principles of Pilates, beginning and most intermediate level exercises with modifications, lectures on class order and programming in a group setting, and guidelines for teaching seniors, pre-, and post-natal classes.
Mat II (16 hours)
Prerequisite: Mat I
Mat II includes the remaining intermediate and advanced level exercises as well as essential movement principles and training tips for advancing clients to higher skill and proficiency levels. Pilates for sports specific activities are also covered.
Anatomy in Three Dimensions (14 hours)
Anatomy in Three Dimensions teaches the musculoskeletal anatomy through a hands-on, visual and kinesthetic approach. In this course, we build all of the major muscles, in clay, on a specially designed small-scale skeleton. This course covers the key elements of the musculoskeletal system, including the structure and function of bones, joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves; as well as the origin, insertion and action of the muscles. This course emphasizes muscle function and gives specific exercises for each muscle group in order to reinforce and apply your knowledge to movement.
UWSP/Balanced Body Pilates Mat Instructor Training Certificate
Requirements for Completion
To become a fully qualified Balanced Body® Mat Instructor, students must complete the following:
- Anatomy (14 hours)
- Balanced Body Mat 1 - Course work, written and practical test (16 hours)
- Balanced Body Mat 2 - Course work, written and practical test (16 hours)
- 25 Mat Personal Sessions and 45 Mat Student Teaching Hours or
- 20 Mat Personal Sessions, 15 observation hours and 35 student teaching hours
- Final written and practical test
Total hours for completion of Mat program: 116 hours
Upon completion of all of the requirements, a certificate of completion as a Balanced Body® Mat Instructor will be issued.