The ASI Chamber Music Program is a two-week intensive experience for the advanced string and piano student. Those who enroll in this program need to have well-developed music reading skills and experience maintaining rhythmic independence. Pre-formed chamber ensembles are allowed with the consent of the student’s home teacher and permission of the Institute Director.
NEW! This year we are offering a one-week Chamber Music Program! See below for program requirements.
52 hours of instruction
$950 tuition fee
Only enough personnel to fill 12 ensembles will be accepted on a first come first serve basis
Daily class schedule includes a 3-person master class (A Class), Tone/Technique/Orchestra sectionals (B Class), repertoire class (C Class), string orchestra class or duet class (D Class), and chamber ensemble coachings.
All applicants must complete the Chamber Music Program Assessment Form and submit a placement video, with the help of your home teacher. These materials must be submitted by June 1.
Program requirements: Two Week Chamber Camp
violinists – Book 7 - Bach a minor Concerto, Mvt 1 and above
- violists – Telemann Concerto (Book 4) level and above
- cellists – Book 5 and above
- pianists – beyond the Suzuki repertoire
- double bass – based upon teacher recommendation
Program requirements: One Week Chamber Program
Placement video requirement
- violinists - Book 6 and above and can read fluently in first, second and third positions and up to three sharps and flats
- violists - Book 4 and above and can read at least first, second and third positions and up to three sharps and flats
- cellists - Book 3 and above and can read at least first, second and third positions and up to three sharps and flats
- pianists - Book 6 and above with excellent reading skills.
- The placement video is not an audition, and will not be used to determine acceptance to the chamber music program.
- All chamber music applicants are accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis until spots are filled.
- The placement video is a tool to ensure applicants are placed in an ensemble with other students of a similar playing level.
- A placement video will allow ASI faculty to more quickly and easily assess and address the strengths and areas for improvement in each ensemble, in order to maximize all students' enjoyment and learning experience.
- Required to be submitted with your Chamber Music Program Assessment Form by June 1.
- Should be a YouTube link (or equivalent).
- Submissions should include one piece of music – title of the piece should be included on your YouTube video as well as your name.
- Music does not need to be memorized.
- Piano accompaniment is recommended for string players.
- All submissions should be reviewed by the home teacher prior to submission.
- Performances should reflect the home teacher’s highest expectation for the student.
The Chamber Music Student Orchestras will perform in concert Thursday evening of the second week. Suggested attire is a white top and black bottom (no mini-skirts please). Chamber Music Students must bring music stands (label all parts).