Financing Your Study Abroad

Study abroad is a great asset to your undergraduate resume, but it often costs more than a regular course on campus.  Plan ahead and begin saving money for it as early as possible!  Make sure to budget for extra spending money, the costs of a visa, and your airline tickets as well.

Most importantly, meet with a UWSP Financial Aid advisor to calculate your aid eligibility.  Your Financial Aid package does apply to study abroad for academic credit! 


Financial Aid

Students are able to retain their current award of federal & state grants and loans for credit-bearing study abroad programs.  Enrollment of at least half time is necessary  to receive Federal Loans.  During summer term, this means at least six credits.  Other forms of aid such as scholarships and grants are available in summer even if you are enrolling in only three credits.  Students who receive a Pell grant can receive a proration of the grant based on their enrollment. 

UWSP Financial Aid Office*
Room 106 Student Services Center
Phone: (715) 346-4771
 *First, check with the Financial Aid Office about your current status!

Loan Assistance

Students may be able to receive additional loans (available under the Parent PLUS, DIRECT or  Alternative Student Loan program through private lenders—banks, savings and loan associations, or credit unions) to help finance their study abroad. For more detailed information click here.

Scholarships - Check our Scholarships page!


Wisconsin G.I. Bill Information

Check with the Office of International Education for a determination as to whether or not your program is eligible. Also check with the Veterans Benefit Office on campus to verify that your benefits may be applied to study abroad programming.


IMPORTANT for  All Programs:

Contact the Financial Aid office to set up an appointment!