Passports and Visas


All study abroad applicants need to have a valid passport. If you do not have one at the time you submit your study abroad application, you need to show proof that you are applying for a passport.  Usually, a copy of the receipt showing your passport is being processed is acceptable.  Go to the U.S. Department of State website for instructions and to get an official passport application form. 
Need a visual lesson on how to get a passport? Click here.
If you have a passport, be sure it is valid for at least 6 months after the date of your planned return to the States.
PASSPORT PHOTOS are required with your passport application.  Please note that you may need a few extra passport photos for your study abroad program.  Many countries require them for visas, and host universities or local government offices often require them!  Check with our office to see how many you may need.


A visa is an official document allowing you to enter, study and/or reside in a specific country. Check your host countries' embassy or consulate services online to see if you need any special visas before you travel! 
Studying in another country almost always requires a special visa.  Although our office cannot secure your visas for you, our office will help guide you through the process for your study abroad experience.  Please note: Visa costs are not part of program costs, and your out-of-pocket cost for a visa can be up to $500 or higher!


Example of a visa.  In some cases, your valid passport must be sent to the host country's embassy to have the visa physically added to your passport.  This takes considerable lead-time and cannot be done at the last minute before departure!

In other cases, the visa is electronic.

Website feedback
©1993-2017 University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point