Finance Charge

A finance charge on the unpaid balance will be charged to students who participate in the partial payment plan. LATE PAYMENT FEE - Students may be assessed an administrative services fee not to exceed $75 if full payment of fees currently due is made after the established due date.

 Financial Delinquency

Students who are more than 30 days delinquent in the payment of an account may be withdrawn from the university. Students who are delinquent in their financial obligations will not be allowed to receive transcripts or diplomas, nor may they enroll under the partial payment plan for any future term until these obligations are removed.

 Non-Negotiable Check Policy and Fee

The university actively pursues a policy of collecting checks returned by the bank for non-negotiability (non-sufficient funds, endorsement missing, etc.). There is a $20.00 service charge each time a check is returned by the bank. If the check is not accepted by the bank after being deposited twice and the writer of the check does not respond to at least two contact attempts by the Student Financial Services Office, the following will apply:

  1. Non-fee checks (those written for cash, merchandise, etc.) may be submitted to the District Attorney of Portage County for collection.
  2. Checks written for fees (academic, segregated, etc.) will be charged back to the student's account, resulting in non-payment of fees.

 Processing of Student Bills

The UWSP Student Financial Services Office uses electronic billing statements. Each month when your billing statement is generated, you will be sent an email message informing you that your billing statement is available for viewing on-line. Once you have accessed your statement, you will be able to view, print, copy, or send your statement as a document to another email address. You will need your UWSP logon and password to access your billing statement. Printed statements will not be mailed to currently enrolled students. If you are not currently enrolled and have an outstanding balance, your billing statement will be mailed to your home address. By logging on to accesSPoint, you can check charges and credits to your account, verify financial aid, or pay your account balance via American Express, Discover, MasterCard or by electronic check. It will also be possible for you to view prior billing statements on-line.

 Replacement ID Card Fee

See the Point Card Office Website for cost information. Take your driver's license or another form of photo ID to the Point Card Office to have your picture taken and a new card processed.

 Special Course Fees

Certain courses require additional fees to cover the cost of materials and services beyond those usually provided, such as gold or silver or extra canvas in art courses, field trips, or scuba diving, rock climbing and bowling alleys in some wellness courses.

Each CNR major (with the exception of Paper Science) will be charged a $40/semester fee to fund major renovations at the Treehaven and Central Wisconsin Environmental Station (CWES) Field Stations. This fee will be charged to CNR majors enrolled at UWSP between January, 2009 and December, 2019.

 Surcharge for Excess Credits

The Board of Regents adopted a policy, effective Fall 2004, in which all resident undergraduate students that have accumulated 165 credits (or 30 credits more than required by their degree program, whichever is greater) will be assessed a surcharge. The surcharge, equal to 100% of the regular resident tuition, will be assessed on all credits beyond 165. Note the following:

  1. The policy applies only to resident undergraduate students pursuing their first degree.
  2. Only credits earned at UW-Stevens Point or transferred from a UW System or a Wisconsin Technical College System institution are counted toward the 165 credits.
  3. Advanced placement (AP), credit-by-exam, retroactive credit, remedial credit and other such non-traditional credits are not counted toward the 165 credits.
  4. The surcharge will be applied to students in the term following the one in which they reached the 165 credit limit. For example, students who earned 165 credits prior to the fall 2004 term will be assessed the surcharge for the credits they are taking in the fall 2004 term.

Contact the Office of the Registrar, 101 SSC, if you have questions regarding the policy.

Refund Schedule


For students who are required to pay the $100 registration deposit, it will be refunded if you notify the Office of the Registrar in writing that you are canceling your registration. Notification must be received in the Office of the Registrar on or before the appropriate dates

If you notify the university after the start of the semester that you will not be attending, you will be considered a withdrawal. See the additional information on this page under Withdrawals.

 Course Drops

The refund schedule applies also to course drops. Keep in mind, however, that any refund or assessment of additional fees will be based on the net result of the credits you add and/or drop in relation to the appropriate refund period. In other words, whether you are entitled to a refund or will be billed for additional fees will depend on the date you drop credits as well as the "begin and end" dates of the course. WARNING!! Dropping and adding classes may increase your cost. Dropped courses after the 100% refund periods are included in the total credits used for fee calculation. Courses dropped and added after this period do not offset each other for cost purposes and therefore, your semester cost may increase.

 Room and Board

Room and board charge refunds are pro-rated on a weekly (Sunday-Saturday) basis. The amount of a student's room and board refund will depend upon the date of withdrawal from the hall as noted by the Residence Hall Director or the last day the student used their meal plan, whichever is later.

 Room Reservation Prepayment

Academic year contract cancellations received in writing on or before July 1 (December 15 for contracts commencing with the spring semester) and approved by Residential Living will receive a $100 refund of the $125 room prepayment. The remaining $25 is forfeited as a processing fee. There is an early release option at the semester and a refund of the $125 room prepayment (if requested prior to December 15) available to juniors, seniors, non-traditional students, students commuting from their parents' home and those students who have completed 4 college semesters. Refund of the $125 is processed at the end of the semester.

 Special Course Fees

Special course fees are non-refundable after the first week of classes.


Charge reductions for a complete official withdrawal from the university will be made according to the following percentages:

Session length in weeks Withdrawal during week #
  1 2 3 4 5+
12 or more 100% 100% 50% 50% 0
8-11 100% 50% 25% 0 0
5-7 100% 50% 0 0 0
3 and 4 100% 25% 0 0 0
2 100% 0 0 0 0

All students withdrawing from classes will be assessed the following withdrawal fees:

  • withdrawals effective the first week of classes will be assessed $50.00
  • withdrawals effective the second week of classes will be assessed $100.00

UW System institutions are responsible for complying with federal regulations governing participation in the student financial assistance programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. To the extent that these regulations require a larger refund to federal funding sources than the amount specified by the refund policy stipulated above, the student will be responsible for the difference.

To withdraw from the university, a student must contact the Office of the Registrar, 101 SSC, to initiate the withdrawal procedure. You will need to provide a signed statement. Appeals of effective withdrawal dates should also be directed to that office.