Important information for all students

Identification, Licenses and Registrations

Social Security Number

You can obtain your social security ​card at the Social Security Office, 2213 8th Street South, Wisconsin Rapids. You must have a passport, a valid student visa and a letter from a campus employer to be eligible for a social security number. For more information regarding social security, call 1-800-772-1213.

Driver’s License

You can obtain your Wisconsin driver’s license at the Dept. of Transportation, 1001 Maple Bluff Rd., Stevens Point, 345-5321. You must possess a valid driver’s license to be eligible to drive a motor vehicle, motorcycles, motorbikes require a different class of license. Make sure you take valid photo identification, including your social security number.

Wisconsin Identification card

A Department of Transportation-Wisconsin Identification card can be obtained at the Dept. of Transportation, 1001 Maple Bluff Rd., Stevens Point, 345-5321. This card identifies you with a personal picture and your birth date. You will need a certified birth certificate or passport and one other form of identification. The card costs $4.

Bicycle Registration

If you own a bike, you must get it registered. You can register your bike at the Stevens Point Police Dept., 1515 Strongs Ave., 346-1500. The cost is $3. Unregistered bikes may be fined. Bicyclists must obey the same traffic regulations as motor vehicle drivers do.

Fishing and Hunting Licenses

Fishing or hunting enthusiasts must purchase licenses or risk hefty fines. Licenses are available at many local establishments including Wal-Mart and K-Mart. Fishing licenses are good for one year. Be sure to fish and hunt only in authorized areas and not on private property.


License Plates

License plates are required on any automobile or motorcycle. If you purchase a new or used vehicle, you must buy a new license plate, which must be renewed yearly. Be sure to keep your title or vehicle registration in a safe place. License plates also may be obtained at the Department of Transportation, 345-5321.


It is unlawful in Wisconsin to operate or to allow another to operate your motor vehicle without liability insurance.


If you are involved in an accident, do not move your vehicle until the police arrive and advise you to do so. Exchange identification and insurance information with the other parties involved in the accident. Police will complete an accident report form if property damages of $1,000 or more are sustained. A copy of the report can be obtained at the law enforcement agency that responded to the accident.


City Streets-Traffic and Parking

Due to heavy pedestrian traffic, traffic laws are strictly enforced by police. Please obey all traffic laws and regulations. On-street parking laws are also enforced by the City Police. Overnight parking from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. on city streets is prohibited year round. Obey parking signs and meters on city streets. Failure to do so may result in a citation and fine.

Campus Parking

Parking on campus lots is by permit only, except in metered areas. Only vehicles with a current and properly displayed permit are authorized to use campus parking lots. You may purchase a parking permit at the Parking Office, George Stien building, 346-3900. Please obey parking regulations and place proper coins in meters in parking lots. Failure to do so may result in costly fines. Campus parking is enforced by Parking Services.

Select offenses

For more information about different types of prohibited conduct, please see the Information page.

Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants

Wisconsin law prohibits a person from driving while under the influence of intoxicants or any other substance that may impair a person’s driving ability. A blood alcohol content of 0.08 or higher is considered “legally drunk.”


You must be 21 years old or older to legally consume alcohol. A person may be arrested for any alcohol consumption if under 21. It is also illegal for a person over age 21 to supply alcohol beverages to minors. It is unlawful to have an open container of beer, wine or liquor in any public area such as streets, sidewalks, alleys or parks, or in any automobiles or public conveyances.


Possession of any type of guns or rifles on University property is not permitted. If you do have a weapon for hunting and live in a residential hall, it must be stored at the UWSP Armory. The armory is located at the Police and Security Services Office, George Stien Building, 346-3456.


Wisconsin law prohibits a person from making an offensive remark or gesture in a public place, doing or threatening to do physical harm, using abusive language in a public place, following another person in a public place, or engaging in conduct that alarms or annoys another person and serves no legitimate purpose. Wisconsin law also prohibits making telephone calls with no legitimate purpose of communication.

Disorderly Conduct

A person may be arrested and charged with disorderly conduct if he or she engages in fighting or threatening behavior, or makes unreasonable noises while in public.


Charges could be filed if an individual knowingly enters or unlawfully remains in a building or on property on which notice against trespass is given by fencing or other posting.


It is against the law to unjustifiably deface, destroy, or damage any property.


Hitchhiking is illegal when a person is on the roadway. Hitchhiking at any place or time is strongly discouraged.