Skip to main content

Study Engineering at UW-Stevens Point

Your Future in Paper Science and Engineering

Career opportunities for engineers from UWSP are endless! Job placement in Paper Science and Engineering upon graduation is excellent - 100% since the major began in 1973. Geographically, 50% of the UWSP Paper Science and Engineering (PS&E) alumni work in Wisconsin while the other half work in locations across the country. There is even international career potential as paper is a global industry. Several graduates of this program are now in senior management positions in industry and research.
What distinguishes the UWSP process engineering program from other engineering programs is the special support provided by the paper industry, including financial support through the UWSP Paper Science Foundation.

The keys to success are strong internship/coop experiences, working hard to maintain good grades while in college, and being willing to be mobile in your career, especially when you first graduate (which is true of all college majors).

UWSP process engineering graduates work in the following industries: chemical, process control, equipment manufacture, pulp production, technical sales, consulting engineering, and product development to name a few. Process engineering is closely allied with chemical engineering is similar in terms of college curriculum and employment opportunities.

To learn more about careers in the paper industry visit the Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI) website "Career" section. Also peruse the whole site to get a better feel for the industry because TAPPI is the professional organization for paper engineers.  

Please view the TAPPI video titled "5 Reasons You Should be a Paper Engineer" and the other sites below to learn more about the paper industry and reasons to be an engineer:

• Windows Media version or Flash version - "5 Reasons You Should be a Paper Engineer"
• " Paper Engineering as a Career " slideshow
Top 10 Reasons to Become a Paper Engineer " brochure
A variety of website consistently name chemical engineering as one of the "Top 10 Paying College Majors. Below are just a few:

To learn more about engineering, including chemical engineering, visit the following sites or try a web search on your own!


If you like math, science, and problem solving and think you are up to the challenge of pursuing a paper science and engineering major at UW-Stevens Point, read on. This is great information to share with your parents too!

Why the Paper Industry is a Good Place for Process Engineers 

• Over 3,000 s killed jobs per year in the paper industry are opening up due to retirement
• The paper industry employs more than 1 million people across the U.S.
• The paper industry is the top 10 manufacturer in ove r 40 states
• Since 1973, 98% of UWSP graduates receive employment offers in the industry (the other 2% go on to graduate school)

UWSP PS&E Graduates in the Industry

>720 alumni as of 2009
>257 managers, superintendents, supervisors
>13 directors
>7 vice-presidents
>3 presidents

Please click on the salary chart below to enlarge it.)

Class of 1973

Class of 2009

Become a leader in the industry

Work for a Green Industry

  • A renewable, sustainable industry with products that are very hard to do without
  • One of the most sustainable industries, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
  • For every tree logged, three to four are planted.
  • One of the most environmentally regulated industries in the United States
  • Industry intensive biofuels research and development are now being

Website feedback
©1993-2017 University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point