Integrating Library Resources into D2L
The Library has many resources which can be included in your D2L course. For example, links direclty to databases, journal articles, ebooks, streaming videos, and more can be included. The Library can also integrate instruction into your D2L course by creating a course specific guide and online video tutorials. We are even willing to be added into your D2L course to help answer research questions your students might have. Want to learn more? Contact the Reference Desk for more information (715-346-2836 or
In D2L, your course will automatically include the Library widget on course homepages to give students convenient access to Library resources. This widget includes links to the Library homepage, book search, article search, reserves, research guides, and help. You can integrate the Library into your course even further by requesting a customized course guide be created for you to.
Often including library resources in your D2L course is as simple as including a link. When linking to library resources make sure to follow these guidelines:
- Use a persistent link. A persistent link is a direct URL to a resource that will allow you and your students to back to the resource at a later time. There are sometimes also referred to as permalinks, permanaent links, or direct URLs. In most library resources a persistent link option will be present for you to copy and paste.
- Make sure the proxy information is included in the persistent link so that off campus users are able to view (example: http://digital.films.com.ezproxy.uwsp.edu/PortalPlaylists.aspx?aid=7768&xtid=11728
If you are unsure if you are using a correct link please contact the Reference Desk
The Library subscribes to several streaming video packages that are accessible via
If a particular film is not already available via the library you may request we purchase it. We will make every attempt to do so, pending content and cost. If a film is not available in a streaming format the library
be able to make a local streaming version, provided the library already has the DVD in our collection and that access is only provided via a login protected platform (generally D2L or eReserves). Contact
(715-346-4443) for more information.
: Unfortunately, online video links are notorious for not always working. You will find some troubleshooting tips on our
Find Videos guide.
Customized Course Guides in D2L
Are you using D2L in your courses? Are you interested in integrating library resources into your teaching and assignments? A library course guide can be a very valuable tool for helping your students successfully identify and use library resources to complete assignments.
We would be happy to set up a library guide for your course. We welcome your input, but do not want to create more work for you. We can start with a page that links to the basic resources in your discipline. Then, if you desire more customization, just share your syllabus with us, or contact us with information about your specialized needs and we'll customize the resources offered for your assignments.
We can include direct links to:
- Electronic reserves and/or your print reserve list in the library catalog
- Databases that index articles or resources in your discipline
- Core journals in your discipline
- Specific articles in library electronic databases
- And other resources such as streaming videos, online citation guides, Interlibrary Loan, UW Resource Sharing, reference help and recommended websites.
We can embed search boxes to a variety of library resources for quick and easy searching:
- Credo Reference
- Films on Demand
- And many more
Examples of discipline based subject guides:
Examples of assignment based course guides:
Copyright Considerations: A guide to the TEACH Act and other copyright law for online education.
For more information or to request a course guide contact your