Phase II Mapping at UWSP is continuing! This phase is being extended within UWS overall due to the extent of reviews to ensure people mapped accurately.
4-minute Video: Employee Conversations
Learning Series Document: What to Expect During the Employee-Manager Conversation
- For UWSP, managers will receive communication to start conversations on/by January 6, 2020.
- Manager-employee conversations may start once they receive that communication for positions which are finalized from Phase II.
- Since the manager-employee conversations are dependent on the Phase II mapping review being finalized, some manager-employee conversations may not occur until February or March.
- The expectation is that if an impacted employee's mapping is still being reviewed beyond early January, the manager is keeping the employee up to date with as much information as possible regarding the timeline for the conversation.
Other Timeline Implications:
- In late spring employees will receive official communication from UWS regarding their updated title. The communication will be prior to the appeals process timeline.
- Titles will not be official now until July 1, 2020.
- Business Titles:
- During the manager-employee conversation, a Business Title may be discussed.
- Please reference the Business Title Guidelines for initial guidance. Additionally, Business Titles are used when there is a legitimate business reason.
- Business Titles will be finalized after/as we completely finalize mapping and are approved by HR.
January 2020UWS Update
sent via email to all Faculty and Staff on 1/23/2020.
Information being reviewed for official updates.
As this is an iterative process, many items over the last month have been in review for possible updates or confirmation. Shared Governance groups: FC, ASC, and USC have been kept up to date via council meetings.
Standard Job Descriptions (SJDs), Mapping, and Employee-Manager Conversations:
Many supervisors had employee conversations during that last couple of months. If your supervisor hasn't spoken with you yet officially for your mapping, that is okay! Several supervisors are waiting to have conversations as several job families had positions which were being reviewed for SJD updates such as title, responsibilities, education level, and/or FLSA exception status. HR is reviewing and coordinating with supervisors to make appropriate updates.
There are several items which have been reviewed or are being confirmed to ensure mapping is finalized accurately. These items are listed below.
- Employees need to be mapped to a role in TTC that is the best fit based on their current Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) status (i.e. exempt or non-exempt/hourly)
- It is important to note that the role expectations should not change due to mapping
- Any ongoing changes to the role which are substantial or may impact FLSA exemption status (this includes title changes) must be done so outside of TTC via current UWSP HR processes.
- Functional Manager versus People Manager
- SJDs with 'Manager' in the title reflect functional or people manager duties.
- SJDs with 'Manager' in the title are being updated by UWS to ensure that supervisory duties are listed as 'may'.
- Lecturer Titles:
- Official Title of Record: Lecturer
- Business Titles may be used to differentiate between the Lecturer levels currently used by an institution
- Faculty and Instructional Academic Staff shared governance will need to determine if they want to update any processes for initial or progression series.
- For more information, an IAS Town Hall Forum will be on March 12, 2020.
- Teaching Professor must be reviewed and approved through the institution via Shared Governance:
- Faculty and IAS shared governance review will be coordinated once further UWS guidelines are available.
- Generally, this means that current Lecturer series roles will be mapped to Lecturer within TTC
- Given the timeline to finalize mapping during this project, the Teaching Professor title, if approved for use within UWSP shared governance will not be ready when we finalize this project within UWS.
- Thus, the timeline for any mapping changes which may be needed for those mapped to Lecturer will be done in a timeline in accordance with shared governance review versus the UWS mapping timeline.
Watch for More Guidance to Come:
- Lead versus Supervisor versus People Manager role guidelines
Have you reviewed the current information on the benefits review and results? Reference the UWS January Update PPT slides 15 – 24 to learn about how UWS compares in benefits, what Faculty and Staff value the most, and additional opportunities to improve.
Due to the current situation of COVID-19, TTC implementation is delayed for at least three months. An official updated timeline will be available in the near future.
The project is expected to continue at a slower pace as HR departments continue to respond to COVID-19 related needs. Employee-manager conversations are considered on hold.