William B. Skelton
Title: Professor Emeritus
M.A., Ph.D., Northwestern University, 1968
B.A., Bowdoin College, 1961
- Teaching Assistant: Northwestern University, 1963-1964
- Instructor: Ohio State University, 1965-1969
- Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor: University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, 1969-2002
- U. S. History survey
- U. S. Military History
- U. S. History Antebellum and Civil War Eras
- American Labor History
- Nuclear Arms Race and Arms Control
- An American Profession of Arms: The Army Officer Corps, 1784-1861, University Press of Kansas, 1992. (Received one of two Distinguished Book Awards in 1994 from the Society for Military History for best books in the field of military history.)
- "The Commanding General and the Problem of Command in the U.S. Army, 1821-1841, Military Affairs, XXXIV (December 1970): 117-122.
- "Professionalization in the U.S. Army Officer Corps During the Age of Jackson," Armed Forces and Society, I (Summer 1975): 443-471
- "Army Officers' Attitudes Toward Indians, 1830-1860," Pacific Northwest Quarterly, 67 (July 1976): 113-124.
- "Officers and Politicians: The Origins of Army Politics in the United States Before the Civil War," Armed Forces and Society, VI (Fall 1979): 22-48
- "The Confederation's Regulars: A Social Profile of America's First Standing Army," William and Mary Quarterly, 3rd Series, XLVI (October 1989): 770-785
- "Roots of the American Military Profession: The Officer Corps of America's First Peacetime Army, 1784-1789," The Journal of Military History, 54 (October 1990): 435-452. (Awarded a Moncado Prize as one of four best articles published in the JMH in 1990.)
- "High Army Leadership in the Era of the War of 1812," William and Mary Quarterly, 3rd Series, LI (April 1994): 253-274.
- "Samuel P. Huntington and the Roots of the American Military Tradition," Journal of Military History, 60 (April 1996): 325-338.
- "The Commanding Generals and the Question of Civil Control in the Antebellum U.S. Army," American Nineteenth Century History, 7 (June 2006): 153-172.
Chapters in Books:
- "The Army in the Age of the Common Man, 1815-1845," Kenneth Hagan and William Roberts (eds.), Against All Enemies: Interpretations of American Military History From Colonial Times to the Present, Greenwood Press, 1986.
- "The Army Officer as Organization Man," Garry D. Ryan and Timothy K. Nenninger (eds.), Soldiers and Civilians: The U.S. Army and the American People, National Archives, 1987.
- "West Point and Officer Professionalism, 1817-1877," Lance Betros (ed.), West Point: Two Centuries and Beyond, McWhiney Foundation Press, 2004.
- "The Founding of West Point and the Creation of a Professional Standing Army," Antonio S. Thompson and Christos G. Frentzos (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of American Military and Diplomatic History: The Colonial Period to 1877, Routledge, 2015.
Representative Encyclopedia Articles:
- "Bernard, Simon," "Boyd, John Parker," "Brown, Jacob Jennings," "Cooper, Samuel," "Cullum, George Washington," "Delafield, Richard," "Hull, William," "Jesup, Thomas Sidney," "Mansfield, Joseph King Fenno," "Mason, Richard Barnes," "North, William," "Stanton, Edwin McMaster," "Turnbull, William," "Washington, John Macrae," John A. Garraty (ed.), American National Biography, Oxford University Press, 1999.
- "Army, U.S.: The Army from 1783 to 1865," John W. Chambers (ed.), The Oxford Companion to American Military History, Oxford University Press, 1999.
- UW-Stevens Point Excellence in Teaching Award, 1983
- Society for Military History Moncado Award, 1991
- UW-Stevens Point, Academy of Letters and Science Distinguished Achievement Award, 1992
- UW-Stevens Point University Scholar Award, 1993
- Society for Military History Distinguished Book Award, 1994
- UW-Stevens Point, School of Education Outstanding Service Award, 2002
<< Back to faculty page