Office: CCC 230B
Phone: (715) 346-2274
PHD, University of Wisconsin - Madison (2012)
M.A., History - University of Wisconsin - Madison (1999)B.A., Honors, Anthropology, Scripps College - Claremont, CA (1991)AA Liberal Arts, College of the Desert, Copper Mountain, Joshua Tree, CA (1989)
US/Ethnographic & Environmental
HIS 176: United States to 1877 (online)
HIS 177: United States since 1877 (online)
"At Sea in the World (Or, a Dissertation on the UnNatural Histories of a Ship): The Cruise of U.S. Frigate Essex, 1798-1837."
- Point Last Seen: A Woman Tracker's Story. Boston: Beacon Press, 1997. Multiple Foreign Rights editions. US edition repr. Penguin 1998, Pocket 2002. Produced as CBS television movie, 1998.
- "Naming Our Canyon," in Susan Fox Rogers, ed., Two in the Wild. New York: Vintage Books, 1999. Repr. in Wendy Knight, ed. Making Connections. New York: Seal Press, 2003.
- Leave No Trace. New York: Pocket, 2002. In post-production by Bold Films as feature film, 2012.
- Cry Last Heard. New York: Pocket, 2004.
- "Wayfinding in the Shadow of the Archives: Querying the US West from Nukhiva and Salem (Or, Why 1813-36 Matters for 1890 to Now)." Panel Presentation for the annual meeting of the Western History Association, Denver, CO, 2012.
- Capstone Ph.D. Award (Excellence in Teaching, campus-wide), UW-Madison, 2008.
- Dissertator's Award, UW-Madison, 2006.
<< Back to faculty page