Richard Hauer, Ph.D.
Phone: (715) 346-3642
Fax: (715) 346-3624
Office: TNR 323
- Ph.D. Forestry, University of Minnesota
- M.S. Tree Biology/Urban Forest Health, University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign
- B.S. Urban Forestry/Botany, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
- A.A.S. Horticulture Technology, University of Minnesota-Waseca
trees in Wisconsin communities are a recognized and significant asset to
citizens. The State of the Wisconsin Local Urban & Community Forests
(U&CF) depicts the current situation with tree programs in Wisconsin. The
reports portray trends since 1991 with the building of local U&CF capacity
and outcomes over the past quarter-century.
- International Society of Arboriculture (1987 to Present)
- Education Goods and Services Committee (2005 to present)
- Education Program co-chair 2006 Annual Conference (2005 to 2006)
- Minnesota Society of Arboriculture (1987 to Present)
- President (2002 and 2003)
- Vice-president (2001)
- Education and Research Committee (1999 to 2003)
- Electrical Hazard Awareness Program (1999 to 2003)
- Awards Committee (2002 to 2003)
- Minnesota Shade Tree Advisory Committee
- Executive Board Member (2001 to 2003)
- Forest Health Subcommittee (1998 to 2003)
- Research and Education Subcommittee (1998 to 2003)
- Student Society of Arboriculture (University of Minnesota, 1997 to 1998)
- Communications Director and Newsletter Editor (1997 and 1998 academic years)
- Chair of fundraising events (1997)
- Student Society of Arboriculture (University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, 1988 to 1992)
- Organization co-advisor
- President (1990 to 1991 academic year)
- Arbor Day Chair (1990 and 1991)
- Tree Nursery Chair (1990)
- Society of American Foresters (1999 to present)
- Wisconsin Arborist Association (1989 to Present)
- Board of Directors (2005 to present)
- Executive Position Ad Hoc Committee (2005 to present)
- FOR 232: Dendrology and Silvics (Annually)
- FOR 319: Land Surveying (Annually)
- FOR 312: Amenity Forestry – Landscape Aesthetics (Annually)
- FOR 333: Urban Forestry (Annually)
- FOR 342: Urban Trees and Shrubs (Annually)
- FOR 385: Applied Principles of Landscape Architecture (Annually)
- FOR 424: Forest Pathology (Spring 2006)
- FOR 435: Nursery Operations and Management (Annually)
- FOR 499: Independent Study in Urban Forestry Topics (On-Demand)
- FOR 796: Advanced Topics in Urban Forestry (Alternate Years)
- NR 1NR 151: Ecological Basis of Natural Resource Management (lab instructor, Spring 2004)
Hilbert, D.R. Koeser A.K, Roman, L. Hamilton K, Landry S.M., Hauer R.J., Campanella H., McLean D., Andreu M., and Perez H. 2019. Development Practice and Ordinances as Predictors of Urban Canopy Coverage in Florida Cities. In review Landscape & Urban Planning. Accepted
Klein R., R.J. Hauer, Koeser, A.K, and B. Bleicherd. 2019. Impacts of wire basket retention and removal on Fraxinus americana ‘Autumn Purple’ growth 9 years after transplanting. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 45(3):79–84.
Klein, R.W., A.K. Koeser, R.J. Hauer, G. Hansen, F.J. Escobedo. 2019. Risk Assessment and Risk Perception of Trees: A Review of Literature Relating to Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 45(1):23–33
Hauer, R.J., J.M. Vogt, N. Timilsina, Z. Wirtz, B.C. Fischer, and W. Peterson. 2018. A Volunteer and Partnerships Baseline for Municipal Forestry in the United States. Civic Science in Urban Forestry: Special Issue of Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry 44(2): 87–100.
Timilsina, N., J.L. Beck, M.S. Eames, R. Hauer, L. Werner. 2017. A comparison of Local and General Models of Leaf Area and Biomass of Urban Trees In USA. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening. 24: 157–163. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2017.04.003
Koeser, A.K., R.J. Hauer, R.W. Klein, and J.W. Miesbauer. 2017. Assessment of Likelihood of Failure Using Limited Visual, Basic, and Advanced Assessment Techniques. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 24: 71–79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2017.03.024
Vogt, J. and R. Hauer. 2017. Sustainability Science for Urban Foresters and Arborists. Arborist News. 26(4): 28 – 33.
Intasen, M., R.J. Hauer, L.P. Werner, E. Larsen. 2017. Urban Forest Assessment in Bangkok, Thailand. Journal of Sustainable Forestry. 36(2): 148 – 163. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10549811.2016.1265455.
Hauer, R.J. and W. Peterson. 2017. Effects of Emerald Ash Borer on Municipal Forestry Budgets. Landscape and Urban Planning 157: 98 – 105. DOI 10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.05.023.
Peterson, W. and R. Hauer. 2016. Getting work done in the Urban Forest: Community Staffs, Volunteers, and Contractors. Arborist News. 25(6): 34 – 38.
Hauer R. and W. Peterson. 2016 Municipal Forestry Budgets and Employee Compensation. Arborist News. 25(5): 58 – 61.
Koeser A.K., J.M. Vogt, R.J. Hauer, R.J. Northrop, and W. Peterson. 2016. The Cost of Not Maintaining Trees: Findings from an International Symposium and Summit. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 42(6): 377–388
O'Herrin, K., R.J. Hauer, W.J. Vander Weit, and R.W. Miller. 2016. Home-Builder Practices and Perceptions of Construction on the Wooded Lot: A Quarter Century Later Follow-up Assessment. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry 42(5): 285–300
Koeser, A.K., R.J. Hauer, J.W. Miesbauer, and W. Peterson. 2016. Municipal Tree Risk Assessment in the United States: Findings from a Comprehensive Survey of Urban Forest Management. Arboricultural Journal. 38(4): 218–229 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03071375.2016.1221178
Johnson, G., R. Hauer, W. Peterson, D. Karcher, and J. Gulick. 2016. Financing the Urban Forest: Volunteers as a Source of Revenue and Program Support. Arborist News. 25(4):20 – 25.
Klein, R.W., A.K. Koeser, R.J. Hauer, G. Hansen, and F.J. Escobedo. 2016. Relationship between Perceived and Actual Occupancy Rates in Urban Settings. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 19: 194–201. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2016.06.030.
Ries, P., R. Hauer, and W. Peterson. 2016 Systematic Management of the Urban Forest. Arborist News. 25(3):46–49.
Vogt J.M., B.C. Fischer, R.J. Hauer. 2016. Urban Forestry and Arboriculture as Interdisciplinary Environmental Science: Importance and Incorporation of Other Disciplines. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. 6(2):371–386 DOI 10.1007/s13412-015-0309-x
Koeser, A.K., R.J. Hauer, A. Hillman, and W. Peterson. 2016. Risk and Storm Management Operations in the United States – How Does Your City Compare?. Arborist News. 25(2):20 – 23
Hauer, R.J. and W. Peterson. 2016. Building and Growing Professionals for Trees: Arboricultural Standards and Credentials. Arborist News 25(1):42 – 46
Morgenroth, J., J. Östberg; C. Konijnendijk van den Bosch; A.B. Nielsen; R.J. Hauer; H. Sjöman; W.Y. Chen; M. Jansson. 2016. Urban Tree Diversity - Taking Stock and Looking Ahead. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening. 15(1): 1–5. doi:10.1016/j.ufug.2015.11.003
Hauer R.J. Vogt, and B.C. Fischer. 2015. Growing Arboriculture & Urban Forestry: One Student at a Time. Arborist News 24(5): 68–71
Vogt J.M., Hauer R.J., Fischer B.C. 2015. The Costs of Maintaining and Not Maintaining the Urban Forest: A Review of The Urban Forestry and Arboriculture Literature. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 41(6): 293–323.
Koeser A., R. Hauer, J. Edgar, and D. Kleinhuizen. 2015. Impacts of wire basket retention and removal on planting time, root ball condition, and early growth of Acer platanoides and Gleditsia triacanthos var. Inermis. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 41(1):16–23
Hauer R.J., J.M. Vogt and B.C. Fischer. 2015. What is the Cost of Not Maintaining the Urban Forest. Arborist News 24(1):12 – 17
Simons, K. and R. Hauer. 2014. Species Diversity is a Numbers Game and More. Arborist News. 23(4):34–39
Hauer, R., L. Werner, and J. Dawson. 2014. Trees and Ice Storms: Developing Storm-Resistant Urban Tree Populations. Arborist News. 23(1):32–36
Koeser, A., R. Hauer, K. Norris. and R. Krouse. 2013. Factors Influencing Long-term Street Tree Survival in Milwaukee, WI, USA. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening. 12(4):562–568
VanNatta, A. and R. Hauer. 2012. Money and Ash Tree Management: Prioritizing Decisions in the Face of EAB. Arborist News. 21(4):42–44
VanNatta, A.R., R.H. Hauer, N.M. Schuettpelz. 2012. Economic Analysis of Emerald Ash Borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) Management Options. Journal of Economic Entomology. 105(1):196–206
Hauer, R.J. 2011. Fight of the Century. Arborist News. 20(4): 53–55
Hauer, R.J., A.J. Hauer, D.R. Hartel, and J.R. Johnson. 2011. Rapid Assessment of Tree Debris Following Urban Forest Ice Storms. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 37(4): 237–247
Hauer, R.J., G.R. Johnson, and M.I. Kilgore. 2011. Local Outcomes of Federal and State Urban & Community Forestry Programs. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 37(4): 152–159
Hauer, R.J. and G.R. Johnson. 2008. State Urban and Community Forestry Program Funding, Technical Assistance, and Financial Assistance within the 50 United States. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry 34(5):280-289
Hauer, R.J. and G.R. Johnson. 2008. Approaches Within the 50 United States to Meeting Federal Requirements for Urban and Community Forestry Assistance Programs. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 34(5):280-289
Hauer, R.J., C.J. Casey Widerstrand, and R.W. Miller. 2008. Advancement in State Government Involvement in Urban and Community Forestry in the 50 United States: Changes in Program Status from 1986 to 2002. Ar. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 34(1):5-12
Hauer, R.J. and G.R. Johnson. 2008. State Urban and Community Forestry Program Funding, Technical Assistance, and Financial Assistance within the 50 United States. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 34(5):280-289
Hanna-Somers, N.A., R.J. Hauer, J.S. Willett, and J.F. Langowski, Jr. 1997. Water Planning Tools for Fixed Military Installations. Federal Facilities Environmental Journal. 8:101-113.
Hauer, R.J. and J.O. Dawson. 1996. Growth and Iron Sequestering of Pin Oak (Quercus palustris) Seedlings Inoculated with Soil Containing Ectomycorrhizal Fungi. Journal of Arboriculture. 22:122-130
Hauer, R.J., R.W. Miller, and D.M. Ouimet. 1994. Street Tree Decline and Construction Damage. Journal of Arboriculture. 20:94-97
Hauer, R.J., W.S. Wang, and J.O. Dawson. 1993. Ice Storm Damage to Urban Trees. Journal of Arboriculture. 19:187-194
Honors and Awards
- 2018, Student Selection for Outstanding Teacher, UWSP College of Natural Resources
- 2018, L.C. Chadwick Award for Arboricultural Research, International Society of Arboriculture
- 2017, UW-System Regents Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Wisconsin
- 2017, Richard Rideout Distinguished Service Award, Wisconsin Arborist Association
- 2016, Legacy Project of the Year Award, Society of Municipal Foresters
- 2016, University Excellence in Teaching, Scholarship, and Service Award, UWSP
- 2014, CNR Scholarship Award, UWSP College of Natural Resources
- 2013, Student Selection for Outstanding Teacher, UWSP College of Natural Resources
- 2012, University Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Wisconsin Stevens Point
- 2012, Faculty Selection for Outstanding Teacher, UWSP College of Natural Resources
- 2008, University Scholar Award, University of Wisconsin Stevens Point
- 2008, CNR Scholarship Award, UWSP College of Natural Resources
- 2007, CNR Outstanding Professional Service Award, UWSP College of Natural Resources
- 2004, Minnesota Society of Arboriculture Toothless Saw Award
- 2003, Federated Garden Clubs of Minnesota Scholarship in Horticulture and Forestry
- 2003, University of Minnesota, Waseca Alumni Association Alumni Graduate Scholarship
- 2002, Minnesota Association of Professional Employees Scholarship
- 2002, Society of American Foresters Certified Forester, Certification # 1343
- 2002, Leiton E. Nelson Graduate Scholarship
- 2001, Association of Natural Resource Education Professionals Gold Award
- 2000, Minnesota Department of Agriculture Annual Employee Achievement Award
- 2000, USDOT Merit Award, Member of the Interagency Living Snowfence Task Force