Skip to main content

General Eligibility Requirements

  1. Have a high school diploma or equivalent, been home schooled, or pass ability-to-benefit test.

  2. Be admitted to UW- Stevens Point and working toward a degree. *

  3. Be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for most financial aid program funds.

  4. Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the University.

  5. Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or eligible non-citizen. Have a valid Social Security number (except for students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau).

  6. Cannot be in default on a FSA (Federal Student Aid) loan or owe an overpayment of a FSA grant or loan. Check your status at NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System).

  7. Registered with the Selective Service System if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25 years old.

  8. Enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the home institution may be considered enrollment in the home institution for purposes of applying for federal student financial aid.

  9. Must have resolved any drug conviction issue(s). Students who are convicted of drug possession or sale while receiving financial aid may have their eligibility for aid impacted. When completing the Free Application for federal Student Aid (FAFSA), students are required to respond to Question 23 regarding drug-related convictions (possessing or selling illegal drugs) that occurred while receiving federal student aid; such as grants, loans, or work-study. Your response determines whether or not you are eligible for federal student financial aid for the academic year for which you are completing the FAFSA. Review the Drug Conviction Worksheet for more information. If you regain aid eligibility, submit a signed statement certifying expiration of your financial aid ineligibility; include your aid eligibility date in your signed statement. ​

* The only exception is those persons pursuing teacher certification. If you plan to be in a teacher certification program and wish to receive financial aid, you must fill out the Program Eligibility form and return it to our office. Graduate teacher certification only programs will not be funded with federal aid. Therefore, students enrolled in such programs must be admitted into a graduate program or may apply for a private educational loan. ​​​​​
Website feedback
©1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point