Consists of requirements for the English major PLUS:
1. Writing, 3 credits from 250, 251, 253, 254, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 358, 359. (354 does not count for teacher certification.) Courses taken to satisfy this requirement may be included in the English major as an elective under 6 above.
2. Reading, 3 credits. ENGL 381 is recommended and counts as elective for teacher certification majors under 9 above. EDUC 386 can be used to meet the reading requirement for teacher certification, but it does not count toward the English major.
3. Literature for adolescents, 3 credits: ENGL 375 may count as an elective for teacher certification majors under 9 above.
4. Teacher certification majors must take ENGL 345 for the language requirement of the English major under 6 above.
5. Methods, 9 credits: ENGL 355, 356, 497, E ED 396.
6. Technology, 3 credits: ENGL 393.
7. Student teaching, 12 credits: E ED 398.
8. Seminar on Teaching, 1-2 credits: E ED 400.
Optional Teacher Certification in Broadfield Language
Arts (select alternative A or B):
Broadfield Language Arts Teacher Certification: Consists of the teacher certification requirements for literature/composition, plus 16 credits:
1. Journalism. 3 credits: COMM 221.
2. Communication. 3 credits: COMM 394.
3. Theatre Appreciation. 3 credits: THEA 105.
4. English. 3 credits: ENGL 349/549. Note: For students seeking Broadfield certification, ENGL 349 will not count for the writing requirement in line 1, English Major for Teacher Certification.
5. English Education Field Experience. 4 credits of E ED 395. This two-credit class must be taken twice, once with each of the two subtitles under which it is offered (speech/theatre or journalism).
Broadfield Language Arts (With Communication Major or Minor): Consists of the teacher certification requirements for literature/composition, plus the following:
1. Complete a Communication major or minor, having taken the following as electives:
a. Journalism. 3 credits: COMM 221.
b. Communication. 3 credits: COMM 394.
2. English Education Field Experience. 4 credits of E ED 395. This two-credit class must be taken twice, once with each of the two subtitles under which it is offered (speech/theatre or journalism).
Notes for Teacher Certification:
1. Because of enrollment limits in the teacher certification program, some qualified students may not be admitted to English Education courses.
2. Before applying to the program, you must have completed 12 credits of English beyond freshman English and have at least a 3.00 GPA in those credits, including transfer credits.
3. Admission will be determined by GPA in English, evaluation of a portfolio of writing, faculty recommendation, and an interview (if possible). Admission decisions will be made before the registration period for the semester in which the student applies. See the English Department for further details.
4. Also see information about the Professional Education Program and the secondary education curriculum for teacher certification in the Education section of the University catalog.
English Education Methods Block
English education majors must take a spring block of classes (second semester junior year) preceding the fall block of English methods classes (first semester senior year).
1. Spring block, 9 credits: ENGL 345, 375, 381. There are no limits on number of credits you may take in addition to these.
2. Fall block, 12 credits: ENGL 355, 356, 393, 497, and E ED 396. We highly recommend that you take no more than 15 credits during this semester.