Mental Health Emergency
A psychological crisis exists when an individual is threatening to harm themselves or others, or is substantially out of touch with reality. Uncontrollable behavior and/or hallucinations could be manifested.
If a psychological crisis occurs:
- Remain calm. Do not attempt to handle a dangerous situation. Evacuate immediate area if needed.
- Notify University Police at 715-346-3456. Call 9-1-1 if immediate threat to safety. Provide the following information:
- Your name
- Precise location
- Observed symptoms of behavior.
- Individual’s name, if known
- Until help arrives, be pleasant, considerate, and understanding to avoid aggravating the situation.
- Do not argue with the individual. Try to determine and recognize the individual’s point of view. Do not confront / detain the individual.
- Have someone meet law enforcement at the entrance to the building and provide up to date information. University Police will provide direction from that point forward. UW-Stevens Point Counseling Center will be called at 715-346-3553 for assistance as needed.
- Refer to Violent or Criminal Behavior section as required.