Faculty & Staff: Erin Redman
Ph.D. Degree: Arizona State University
M.S. Degree: Slippery Rock University
B.S. Degree: Northland College
EDUC 205 - Pluralism for Educators
EDSU 908 - Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Education for Sustainability
EDSU 906 - Research Methods II: Qualitative and Quantitative methods for Sustainability Science
EDSU 990 - Special Topics: Funding for Professional Sustainability (future semester)
EDSU 710/910 - Place-Based Approaches within the Glocal Community (future semester)
Erin Redman is the program director and assistant professor of
in the School of Education at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. Prof. Redman comes to UWSP from Leuphana University of Luneburg (Germany) where she has been a research associate and program lead on an international sustainability education collaboration for the Global Consortium of Sustainability Outcomes (GCSO) for the last three years. The GCSO project focuses on the implementation of sustainability professional development workshops for in-service teachers from across Germany, Ireland, and Mexico.
Prior to joining Leuphana, Prof. Redman created and led the Sustainability Teachers’ Academy, a professional development program for in-service teachers from all over the United States. She was also a faculty member at the National University of Mexico (UNAM), where she integrated sustainability throughout their undergraduate programs as well as designed a stand-alone sustainability undergraduate program. During her two years at UNAM, Prof. Redman conducted research on sustainable behavior change and the waste system of Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico.
In addition to her research and teaching in sustainability education, Prof. Redman has worked with women in El Salvador to develop community-based woman-run cooperatives and she has spent the last decade as a ‘foster mom’ to more than 50 dogs.
She is a native Wisconsinite and is thrilled to be part of the Pointer team working on educational sustainability.
- Redman, E., Wiek, A., & Redman, A. (2018). Continuing Professional Development in Sustainability Education for K-12 Teachers- Principles, Programs, Applications, Outlook. Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 12(1), 59-80. https://doi.org/10.1177/2455133318777182
- Redman, A., & Redman, E. (2017). Is Subjective Knowledge the Key to Fostering Sustainable Behavior? Mixed Evidence from an Education Intervention in Mexico. Education Sciences. Vol. 7, Issue 1 http://doi.org/10.3390/educsci7010004
- Redman, E., & Redman, A. (2014). Transforming sustainable food and waste behaviors by realigning domains of knowledge in our education system. Journal of Cleaner Production, 64, 147–157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.09.016
- Larson K. & Redman, E. (2014) Water Education for Sustainability: Criteria and Recommendations, Society & Natural Resources, 27:11, 1213-1222, http://doi.org/10.1080/08941920.2014.933932
- Redman, E. (2013). Opportunities & Challenges for Integrating Sustainability Education into K-12 Classrooms. Journal of Teacher Education for Sustainability, Vol. 15, No. 2, Pgs. 5-24. https://doi.org/10.2478/jtes-2013-0008
- Redman, E. (2013). Advancing Educational Pedagogy for Sustainability: Developing and Implementing Programs to Transform Behaviors. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, Vol. 8, Issue 1, p. 1-34. Link
- Frisk, E. & Larson, K. (2011). Educating for sustainability: Competencies and practices for transformative action. Journal for Sustainability Education. Vol. 2 Link
- 2019 Fritz-Haber Institut Sessions: “The Future of our Climate,” Berlin Germany. Title: Engaging in Climate Solutions. May 9.
- 2019 International Symposium; “Research on Teacher Education for Sustainable Development- Insights, Perspectives and Future Directions,” Vetcha, Germany. Title: International Application of Intensive, Project-based Sustainability Professional Development for In-Service Primary School Teachers. March 21.
- 2018 IV Annual Conference on Education for Sustainability, Bogota, Colombia. Title: Educators are Change Agents. November 22.
- 2016 Intel International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF), Phoenix, AZ. Title: Sustainability Science for the STEM Classroom. May 9.
- 2015 Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), Minneapolis, MN. Title:Engaging K-12 educators in Sustainability Science: Case study on urban sustainability systems. Oct. 26-27.
- 2015 North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE), San Diego, CA. Title: Fostering Change in the Places We Live: Sustainability Education in Cities. Oct. 15-17.