316 Reading Teacher Information Sheet (printable .pdf)
17 Reading Teacher Information Sheet (printable .pdf) Due to low enrollment, this certification is currently on hold
316 Program Plan
17 Program Plan - temporarily suspended
Foundations of Reading Test for Wisconsin (FoRT)
Required by state law for licensure: Passing score of 240 or higher on the Foundations of Reading Test for Wisconsin. For more information on score requirements, test preparation and registration, please see our website.
Note for FoRT: Educators who hold a lifetime license (previously called Professional Educator license) at the time they apply for their new add-on license do not need to pass FoRT in order to add a license in one of the areas listed in statute (Elementary -Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence, Reading Teacher, Reading Specialist and all areas of Special Education).
WHY UW-STEVENS POINT?
- Opportunities to examine and enrich your personal and professional goals
- Unique opportunities to collaborate as literacy professional
- Validation of your work as reading professionals
- Interactive small classes
- Course offerings in varied formats to include online, face-to-face, hybrid and weekend.
WHAT WILL I BE ABLE TO DO WITH A READING TEACHER (316) CERTIFICATION?
- Strengthen content literacy in the classroom
- Serve as a Title I reading teacher
- Collaborate with teachers
- Advocate for reading needs of all students
- Provide reading resources for students, parents, colleagues, and community
WHAT DO I NEED FOR A 316 READING TEACHER LICENSE?
If you have taken reading courses such as Communication Arts, Adolescent or Children’s Literature you may already have some courses needed to begin the reading certification program.
One course is required at both elementary and secondary levels:
- Education 309/509, Methods/Materials for Teaching Reading II (3 cr.)
- Education 310 Materials and Methods for Teaching Lang. Arts (3 cr.)
- Education 386/586, Reading in the Secondary School (3 cr.)
- English 381/581, Reading for the Teacher of English (3 cr.)
One course is required from the following selection:
- Education 383/583, Tests & Measurements (3 cr.)
- English 275, Children's Literature (3 cr.)
- English 375/575, Literature for Adolescents (3 cr.)
- Education 706 (3 cr.)
- Education 327/527 (Teaching Rdg to G&T) (3 cr.)
All of the following courses are required
Education 740, Reading Teacher Portfolio (1 credit Concurrent with 741)
Education 741, Improvement in the Teaching of Reading (3 credits) (Prereq: ED 308/508 or ED 309/509)
Education 746, Diagnosis & Evaluation of Reading Abilities (3 credits)
Education 747, Remedial Reading (3 credits)
Education 748, Remedial Reading Practicum (3 credits)
NOTE: Courses for Area C for the 316 license must be earned within a seven-year period and taken in the above sequence. The time period starts with the beginning of the term in which the first course approved for your Program of Study was taken.
Two years of successful regular classroom teaching experience.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO ACQUIRE CERTIFICATION?
It is possible to complete the 316 in one year beginning in summer with credits needed in Areas A or B, and then sequentially taking courses in Area C through the following summer.
CAN I ACQUIRE MY MASTER’S DEGREE AS WELL AS CERTIFICATION?
Graduate-level reading certification courses for the 316 licenses may be incorporated into the Master of Science in Education - General Degree.
HOW DO I APPLY?
To help us advise you with your individualized plan of study, please submit the following:
- Program Plan - fill out the information in the top table and submit 316 Program Plan
- A brief letter of introduction including: including: a statement of intent (specifying your interest in 316 license), future goals for a Master’s Degree (if applicable), and a brief summary of your educational background and teaching experiences (past and present). Include name, address, work and home phone numbers, and email address.
- A copy of your teaching license(s). If you have an already established graduate degree file at UWSP that includes a copy of your teaching license and all updated transcripts, please indicate this in your letter and skip to
- A copy of your transcript(s) (need not be an official transcript).
- Please Send To Prof. Lynda Fernholz
Reading Coordinator, 454 College of Professional Studies
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
Stevens Point, WI 54481
Please consider integrating your coursework for your 316 license into the course of study for a master’s degree.
- Your Master’s Degree Plan may include up to 9 credits of completed graduate-level coursework.
- Online Application:http://www.uwsp.edu/admissions/Pages/Applying/Graduate-Study.aspx
- Or contact School of Education Graduate Advising, Room 438, College of Professional Studies at 715-346-4403 for an application and information regarding graduate study.
WHAT IF I HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS?
Contact the UW-Stevens Point Reading Coordinator Prof. Lynda Fernholz at 715-346-3223.