​Frequently Asked Questions
Student Resources

 How can I learn more about financial aid and scholarship opportunities?

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is available to answer emails, phone calls and schedule appointment with advisers via phone or Zoom; as well as to receive documents via email, U.S. Postal Service, in person or fax (715-346-3526). General help is available by emailing finaid@uwsp.edu or calling 715-346-4771.

The Student Financial Services office will continue to assist students via email at student.financial.services@uwsp.edu or by phone at 715-346-2118.  For student payments, please reference the webpage for electronic payment options.

 How do I get a copy of an academic transcript?

The Office of the Registrar can be reached by emailing registrar@uwsp.edu. You can send forms electronically as attachments, or if you have a paper form, you can take a picture and email it. If you need a transcript, you can order one online. Or call 715-346-4301.If you have a question outside of business hours, Ask it online

 I have a disability and may need online assistance. Who should I contact?

Disability and Assistive Technology Center staff will email specific guidance to students about accommodations in the online environment. All advising and consultation meetings will happen via Zoom or phone. If you need assistance, please contact datctr@uwsp.edu or 715-346-3365.

 I am an international student. Who can I contact with questions?

The Office of International Education is supporting international students and study abroad participants via Zoom or phone. International students can email isss@uwsp.edu, and study abroad participants can email studyabroad@uwsp.edu. Both can also call 715-346-2717.

 I need to talk with an academic adviser. How do I do that?

Using Zoom technology, as well as email and phone calls, academic advisers on all campuses are available to answer questions and provide academic guidance.

Stevens Point campus

Academic and Career Advising will conduct all advising appointments and career services via Zoom or phone. Please contact your adviser through the Navigate app or by emailing directly. For general help, acac@uwsp.edu or 715-346-3226.

Branch campuses

Solution Center/Advising: Services are available during regular business hours, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Contact Wausau at 715-261-6235 or uwspwausau@uwsp.edu.

Contact Marshfield at 715-389-6530 or uwspmarshfield@uwsp.edu.

 Can I still receive tutoring and learning help?

The Tutoring-Learning Center continues to serve students on all three campuses. All services are available online and by virtual appointment.

At the Stevens Point campus, students enrolled in TLC classes and those currently receiving regular services will receive emails with links to their classes and study sessions. Drop-in and group tutoring will also be available. The hyperlinks to join are accessible on the TLC website schedule pages. Students seeking new tutoring or needing help can contact tlctutor@uwsp.edu or 715-346-3568. 

On the Wausau campus, contact the Tutoring-Learning Center at 715-261-6148  or msippel@uwsp.edu.

On the Marshfield campus, contact the Tutoring-Learning Center at 715-898-6036 or mjanz@uwsp.edu

Click here to see an up-to-date schedule of building hours.

 Is The Cupboard open for students?

The Cupboard is closed for walk-in visits until further notice, but food assistance is still available! Fill out the online request form or email case@uwsp.edu. Get more information, here

 Who can students contact to get additional questions answered?

To get additional questions answered, contact UW-Stevens Point's Dean of Students at 715-346-2611 or at DOS@uwsp.edu.

 What health services do students have?

Student Health Service will be available for telehealth appointments. To schedule, change or cancel an appointment, call 715-346-4646 from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. If you are experiencing any symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19), seek medical care right away. Before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.

 What counseling resources do students have?

The Counseling Center will be available for telehealth appointments. To schedule, change or cancel an appointment, call 715-346-3553 from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. If you are experiencing any symptoms of an illness, please cancel your appointment. We have suspended our policy on late cancelations.

 Is there a way to get access to the Internet?

Charter Communication announced it will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a subscription. Learn more here

 Will the University Library be open for students?

While the libraries encourage the use of our online resources, our campuses libraries are open to students to access computer resources. We ask these only be used if you have no other option. Guidelines such as “no more than 10 people” and “6 feet apart” will be enforced. 

Main campus: Albertson Hall will be closed to the public except for Computer Lab 110 for current students, faculty, and staff. Access to the Computer Lab is located on the west side (Sundial side) of the building (entrance A8).

Wausau campus: The Wausau library is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and closed Friday. Students should use the east entrance to the Main Academic Building.

Marshfield campus: The Marshfield library is open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday. It is closed on Friday, but students who need computer access may come to the Solution Center. Students should use the main entrance to the Main Building. 

 Can I get the Adobe Creative Cloud software on my computer at home using UWSP credentials?

Adobe is giving higher education and K-12 institutional customers globally — who currently make Creative Cloud apps available to students who login through on-campus labs — the ability to request temporary “at-home” access for their students and educators. This will be granted through May 31, 2020 at no additional cost. To learn more and request access, please follow this link.


 Has the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC) spring sports season been canceled?

According to the WIAC, the spring sports season (baseball, softball, women’s lacrosse, outdoor track and field, golf and tennis) has been canceled to include any and all competition. All athletic practices, in-person recruiting activities on- or off-campus and all in-person conference meetings are suspended indefinitely. The American Family Insurance/WIAC Student-Athlete Leadership Institute, scheduled for April 16-17, is postponed with the possibility of rescheduling in the fall.

 What should students do if they left their books at school?

If students have forgotten their textbooks on campus they should call or email the University Store. They will ship rental books out to students at no charge even if they already have books checked out, provided that they have the stock to do so. They’re also working directly with publishers to find alternative solutions such as e-books. They will continue to process any online orders that come through.

 How will students return their textbooks?

Rental textbooks will need to be returned at the end of the semester; however, the revised process for this will be communicated to students via their UWSP e-mail after May 1, 2020.

 What should student athletes do if they left items in their lockers?

If a student athlete needs access into a specific locker room they should contact University Police.

 Will I receive a refund for seg or segregated fees now that campus is closed?

On March 19, UW System announced that all UW System institutions, including UW-Stevens Point, will provide prorated refunds for housing and dining fees for the remainder of the spring semester for students who have vacated their respective universities.

However, segregated fees will not be refunded. Segregated fees provide support for critical services to students, including health care and childcare; student organizations; and fixed costs such as building construction. UW System universities do not want to jeopardize these services, groups, or projects.

 When will dining be open during spring semester?

The Upper Dining Hall will open starting March 22 at 5 p.m. Their hours starting March 23 are 10 a.m.-1 p.m. (brunch) and 4-7 p.m. (dinner). They offer Green on the Go carry out only. Hours may change without notice.

 When will the semester end?

The semester is expected to conclude on its current academic calendar.

 Will Open Rec be available?

Open Rec is to be shut down effective immediately. Please do not check out equipment. 

 Will fitness centers on campus remain open?

Fitness centers are closed until further notice.

 Are placement tests canceled?

UW-Stevens Point remains committed to ensuring a seamless new-student registration experience as we persist through social-distancing challenges presented by COVID-19. All of these important discussions are had with you in mind.

The UW System placement testing has been disrupted this spring, and we want to provide peace of mind during these difficult times.  After several conversations with the appropriate academic departments, we have decided to offer an alternative option for placement exams.  As you know, placement exams serve as a mechanism to accurately determine appropriate Math, English, and Foreign Language courses for each student, but placement testing cancellations may prohibit some students from taking exams before fall registration.  

For students unable to take placement tests, and with your health and safety in mind, UW-Stevens Point is suspending the required Math, English, and Foreign Language placement exam and will instead be using a combination of the ACT/SAT sub-scores and high school grades as an alternative mechanism for placement.  The UW System Center for Placement Testing is exploring alternative online testing options, and if you are planning to utilize this choice, we encourage you to check their website for updates: https://exams.wisc.edu/placement/regionaltesting/information.php.

The Office of Admissions and Recruitment will be sharing more information as we develop these measures. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Residence Halls

 When should I plan to move out of the residence halls?

On March 19, students were notified by email that they should make arrangements to move out of the residence halls between March 19-28. 

 Why do I have to move out?

The health and safety of our students, faculty, staff and our community is our primary concern. Many campuses are taking these actions to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. While college-aged students are generally not in the high-risk group, you live close to each other in residence halls, making precautions like six feet of social distancing difficult. Also, students have traveled during spring break or may have come into contact with an infected person. 

 What is the move-out process?

  • Sign up by 1 p.m. Monday, March 23 for a move-out time
    • Log into your UWSP Housing Portal
    • Select "Emergency Move-out"
    • Sign up for a time to move out
      • Follow instructions for check out process / express checkout process
        • ALL move-out appointments will be in two-hour timeslots
        • Timeslots will run daily, including weekend days, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
    • An email confirmation will be sent, including instructions
    • Please stay with the scheduled timeslot you have selected to move out. (This will ensure the health and safety of you and others) 

  • Packing your belongings
    • If you are on campus, start packing up items and gathering moving supplies
    • If you are not on campus, bring boxes and other moving supplies with you to campus at your assigned time
      • You should anticipate spending no more than 2 hours packing and moving your belongings
      • To reduce human contact, please limit the number of people who come to help you pack up and move out. (We recommended you bring no more than two people to help you move out.)
      • We also recommend you bring your own cleaning items, as we are not able to provide those.

  • Take all trash and recycling out to their proper locations

  • Remember to empty all mail from your mailbox

  • Grab an express checkout envelop from your hall lobby

    • Follow the instructions on the envelope to do your express checkout

  • Lock and shut your room door when you leave  

 What if I can't move out during any of the specified times?

Log into your UWSP Housing Portal, and complete the "Request to stay/Keep belongings on campus" form. Select option "belongings will remain in room while the student will not be here."

We are working with students on a case-by-case basis. Please call us at 715-346-3511 or email us with specific details of your situation. 

 I need to stay on campus. What should I do?

If you are in a situation where you need to remain living on campus, you will need to submit a request by 1 p.m. on Monday, March 23. The online form will provide you with more information on how you might qualify.

Process for application:

  • Log into your UWSP Housing Portal
  • Select "Request to Stay"
  • Fill out and submit the online form
    • Please include as much information as possible in the request.

Our office hopes to process these requests and respond as quickly as possible. Unless you receive approval to stay on campus, you should plan to move out.  

For those who are approved to stay, limited dining options will resume starting with dinner on March 22.

 Where should I park when moving out?

Student lots will be available for people to park and load personal belongings (Lots P, Q, and J). No vehicles will be ticketed in permitted lots as move out is occurring.

In addition, hourly parking limits enforced by the city of Stevens Point on city streets adjacent to residence halls (Reserve Street, Isadore Street and Maria Drive) will be suspended until Saturday, March 28. You do NOT need to pay to park on a city street near a residence hall. Avoid blocking fire zones, fire hydrants, driveways and crosswalks. 

 How can I return my rented loft?

If you have already moved out, but your loft is still in your room. Please contact your hall director (to find your hall directors information, please click here https://bit.ly/2wub8PS).

If you plan on moving out during March 24-28, please disassemble your loft and leave the parts on the bed mattress.  

College Products will not be on campus anymore.

 How can I get mail that is sent to my residence hall address?

Please change your permanent address in accesSPoint. Only first-class mail will be forwarded. It may take several days for mail to be forwarded to you. You should also contact delivery companies (UPS, FedEx, etc.) to change the delivery location of items ordered. 

​​ ​