The Professional Aquaponics Certificate
Aquaponic Certificate Program
Certificate is awarded upon successful culmination of a series of courses that
center on professional and scientific competence and proficiency in the field
of aquaponics. Valued by hobbyists, home food producers, farmer’s market
growers, educators, social organizers and commercial producers, it
substantiates your expertise in aquaponics to address a broad range of
production and application issues.
Program participants will acquire abilities to scientifically understand
the roles of water, bacteria, plants and fish in a sustainable, integrated,
controlled environment, food production system.
aquaponics certificate is open to any student at an accredited college or
university, life-long learners, and those seeking workforce training. Some courses may be taken at other accredited
universities with completed credits transferred to UWSP.
information contact the Department of Biology at (715) 346-2159 or email:
To declare the aquaponics certificate, complete the Application Form
and submit it by mail or email to the Department of Biology (instructions on
Requirements for Completion
CORE COURSES (14 – 15
· Biology 130. Introduction to Plant
Biology. 5 cr.
· Biology 333. General Microbiology. 4 cr.
OR Soil 484. Environmental Microbiology. 3 cr.
· Biology 384. Introduction to Aquaponics. 3
386. Aquaculture/Fish Culture. 3 cr
ELECTIVE COURSES (6 credits)
· Biology 337. Plant Pathology. 3 cr.
· Biology 338. Phycology. 4 cr.
· Biology 351. Plant Physiology. 4 cr.
· Biology 367. General Entomology. 4 cr.
· Biology 374. Ichthyology. 4 cr.
· Water/Waste/Paper Science 382. Water &
Wastewater Treatment. 3 cr.
· Water 390. Water Chemistry & Analysis.
· Business 320. Principles of Management. 3
· Business 321. Entrepreneurship. 3 cr.
· Business 330. Principles of Marketing. 3
210. Introductory Financial Accounting. 3 cr.