Explore Career Opportunities in Soil and Land Management
Soil and Land Management graduates find positions in a wide variety of careers. They may work in the private sector or for the county, state, and federal agencies. Their job titles include:
- Soil Conservationist
- Environmental Consultant
- Agricultural or Crop Consultant
- Soil Scientist
- Wetland Specialist
- On-site Evaluator
- Stormwater Specialist
- Land Use Planner
- Natural Resource Manager
Look for the brown dots on our alumni map and see where our Soil and Waste Resource graduates are today.
Get Involved on Campus
Discover your passions, build your resume, and make friends along the way! Whether it is joining a student organization, working at one of our centers, or participating in research at one of our three field stations, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get involved.
- Read the CNR Reporter, a weekly newsletter with information on upcoming presentations, student organization meeting times and other important happenings on and around campus.
Gain Experience Outside the Classroom
You will gain additional hands-on experiences in all areas of natural resource management during a required summer field experience generally taken between your sophomore and junior years. Choose between an intensive, six-week, hands-on summer field experience at locations such as our Treehaven residential facility, or our European Environmental Seminar where students learn how European natural resource management compares to the United States.
A required internship provides additional real-world experiences ahead of graduation. Faculty members will work closely with you to find the right experience for you. Students have interned with organizations and companies in public and private sectors, some examples listed below.
Public Sector Internships:
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- US Forest Service
- Lake County Stormwater Management Commission
- Marathon County Land Conservation District
- Ozaukee County Land and Water Management Department
- Wood County Land Conservation Dist.
- Sawyer County Zoning and Conservation
Private Sector Internships:
- Advanced Crop Care, Inc.
- Ag Source Cooperative Services
- Allied Cooperative: Pest Pros
- BKS Environmental Associates
- Del-Monte Foods
- Faulks Bros. Construction
- Golden Sands Resource Conservation and Development Area
- Heartland Co-op
- Illinois Foundation Seeds, Inc.
- Lady Bug IPM
- Marshfield Soil and Forage Analysis Laboratory
- Nature Care Ecological Consulting and Services
- Polenske Agronomic Consulting/Tilth Agronomy
- Sentry World Golf Course
- Stantec Environmental Consulting
- Western States Reclamation
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
Meet your Soil Science Professors
Our faculty have Ph.D.’s in soil
science, waste management, and engineering, and specialize in pedology,
soil physics, soil chemistry, microbiology, wastewater, water treatment,
solid waste management, and hazardous waste management. Meet your professors!