Explore Career Opportunities in Forest Recreation
Specialize in the planning and management of outdoor recreation, and prepare for a variety of career opportunities through the Forest Recreation option. Job titles include:
- Forestry Technician (Recreation/Wilderness/Trails)
- Forester/Recreation Coordinator
- Natural Resource Specialist (Recreation)
- Parks and Recreation Specialist
- Outdoor Recreation Planner
- Park Recreation Manager
- Visitor Services Associate
- Visitor Use Specialist
- Campground Manager
- Park Ranger
Look for the green dots on our alumni map to see where our forestry graduates are today.
Get Involved on Campus
Discover your passions, build your resume, and make friends along the way! Whether it is joining a student organization, working at one of our centers, or participating in research at one of our three field stations, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get involved.
Gain Experience Outside the Classroom
You will gain additional hands-on experiences in all areas of natural resource management during a required summer field experience generally taken between your sophomore and junior years. You can choose between our six-week, hands-on summer field experience held at our Treehaven field station or on-campus, or take part in our European Environmental Seminar and learn how European natural resource management compares to the United States.
You are also required to participate in one summer of an adviser-approved forestry internship or employment. A few examples include:
- Parks and Recreation Specialist, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- Forestry Technician (Recreation), United States Forest Service
- Recreation Intern, Schmeeckle Reserve
- Park Manager, Portage County Parks
- Visitor Services Associate, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Meet your Forestry Professors
Our forestry faculty members bring a wide array of knowledge and experience to our indoor and outdoor classrooms at UW-Stevens Point. Meet your professors.