2022 Groundwater Model Workshops: Application & Resources
COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION TODAY! Application deadline - March 1st, 2022
Groundwater is an important resource, as it supplies drinking water to the majority of Wisconsin citizens. Help your students visualize the movement of groundwater and pollutants through underground materials by attending this FREE 1-day workshop. This is a great way to guide student learning and meet NGSS standards!
The training is provided by staff from the Wisconsin DNR, the Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey, UW-Stevens Point Center for Watershed Science and Education, and the UW-Madison, Division of Extension's Natural Resources Institute. Funding for the groundwater workshops comes from a wellhead protection "setaside" grant given to the DNR by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
About the Workshops:
Wisconsin teachers, naturalists, and others that educate students and communities about groundwater have the opportunity to attend a one-day workshop and receive a FREE groundwater model for their school, nature center, or organization. Substitute teacher reimbursement available should your school need or request it in order for you to attend.
Those interested in this opportunity will need to:
- Fill out the application on or before March 1st, 2022. CLICK HERE FOR THE APPLICATION
- Attend one of the workshops to receive your model and gain hands-on experience using it
- Agree to incorporate the model into your curriculum or educational programs
- Agree to demonstrate the model and do at least two groundwater related activities with 15 or more students
- Agree to perform at least one activity that has a "take-home" component to increase parent awareness
- Complete and submit a one-page written evaluation
This opportunity is limited to 20 educators. All applications received on or before March 1st, 2022, will be considered. Applications received after March 1st, 2022 will be considered in the order they are received until all spots have been filled.
Workshop Dates & Times
We recognize that this is a challenging year for teachers/schools. We hope that by providing a variety of different dates and locations, that those interested in obtaining a model will be able to find at least one date/location that fits your schedule.
You only need to attend one:
- Wednesday, April 13th, 2022 at the UWSP at Wausau Campus, Wausau from 9am-3pm
- Wednesday, April 20th, 2022 at the WGNHS Core Repository, Mt. Horeb from 9am-3pm
- Wednesday, June 15th, 2022 at the Menzel Pavilion at Schmeeckle Reserve, Stevens Point - outdoor covered venue from 9am-3pm
Both of the April workshops dates will be socially-distanced and face coverings will be required in order to attend. The June 15th workshop will be outside at a covered venue, and will follow the university guidelines & policies for outdoor gatherings at the time.
Please note: Because the funding is from the Wisconsin DNR, the workshop is limited to educators that teach in the state of Wisconsin.
What past participants have said about the workshops
We recently evaluated the effectiveness of the groundwater models and the workshops that have been conducted over the past 10 years.
Click here to view the Executive Summary
Additional groundwater related video links
Aquifer penetration using Groundwater Model - YouTube
Groundwater Model Demo with Captions - YouTube
Little Plover River Pump Test - YouTube
What's Wrong With My Water? - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
WI Well Water Quality Viewer - Search for well water quality information in your community using this interactive mapping viewer.
Ordering Groundwater Model Parts and Supplies
UWSP Groundwater Model Project - for ordering extra parts or model repair