Groundwater Workshop Application & Resources
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO DECEMBER 1st 2019.
About the workshops
Help your students visualize the movement of groundwater and pollutants through underground materials.
At this 1-day workshop for educators, you’ll receive:
- A free sand tank model (valued at $1100), plus training on using and maintaining the model.
- A notebook filled with educational materials for expanding your environmental education curriculum.
- Plus, schools are eligible for reimbursement to cover substitute teacher costs.
Workshop dates and locations
Workshops run from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm. Space is limited to 10 pairs of educators per location. Plan to spend the entire day.
- January 29: Treehaven, W2540 Pickerel Creek Road, Tomahawk, WI 54487, 715-453-4106
- February 19: WGNHS Core Repository, 211 S. Blue Mounds Street, Mount Horeb, WI, 53572, 608-262-1705
The training is provided by staff from the Wisconsin DNR, the Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey and the UW-Stevens Point Center for Watershed Science and Education. Funding for the groundwater workshops comes from a wellhead protection "setaside" grant given to the DNR by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
What past participants have said about the workshops
We recently evaluated the effectiveness of the groundwater models and the workshops that have been conducted over the past 10 years.
Click here to view the Executive Summary
Groundwater related video links
Aquifer penetration using Groundwater Model - YouTube
Groundwater Model Demo with Captions - YouTube
Testing Well Water for Microorganisms - WRI video link
A New Measure of Groundwater Flow - WRI video link
Little Plover River Pump Test - YouTube
What's Wrong With My Water? - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
WI Well Water Quality Viewer - Search for well water quality information in your community using this interactive mapping viewer.
Ordering Groundwater Model Parts and Supplies
UWSP Groundwater Model Project - for ordering extra parts or model repair