Groundwater Workshop Application & Resources
Thank you to all who have applied for the 2019 Groundwater Model Teacher Workshops. We are reviewing applications and will notify succussful applicants in the coming weeks.
2019 Workshop Details
Help your students visualize the movement of groundwater and pollutants through underground materials. At this 1-day workshop for educators you'll receive:
- A free sand tank groundwater model (valued at $900), plus training on using and maintaining the model.
- A notebook filled with educational materials for expanding your earth science curriculum.
- Plus, schools are eligible for reimbursement to cover substitute teacher costs.
Space is limited to 10 pairs of educators per location.
Workshop dates and locations
January 30, 2019 in Mt. Horeb, WI
February 20, 2019 in Green Bay, WI
How to apply
Two educators from your Wisconsin based school or organization must jointly complete the online application form by November 7, 2018. We'll review the forms and notify successful applicants by early December 2018. Additional details on times and location will be provided to successful applicants.
Additional details can be found in the Groundwater Workshop for Educators - 2019 flyer.
What past participants have said about the workshops
We recently evaluated the effectiveness of the groundwater models and the workshops that have been conducted over the past 10 years. Click here to view the Executive Summary
- Groundwater Introduction - This presentation provides a brief Introduction into groundwater basics
- WI Geology and Aquifers - Slides of Wisconsin geology and properties of our major aquifers
- It'll Go with the Flow - Slides to be used with the water table mapping exercise found in the Groundwater Study Guide.
- Quantitative Exercise - Darcy's Law - Lesson for demonstrating how to calculate darcy's law using the sand-tank groundwater flow model.
- Groundwater Model Worksheet - Step-by-step instructions for conveying the basic concepts of groundwater using the sand-tank groundwater model.
Groundwater related video links
Aquifer penetration using Groundwater Model - YouTube
Groundwater Model Demo with Captions - YouTube
Testing Well Water for Microorganisms - WRI video link
A New Measure of Groundwater Flow - WRI video link
Little Plover River Pump Test - YouTube
What's Wrong With My Water? - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
WI Well Water Quality Viewer - Search for well water quality information in your community using this interactive mapping viewer.
Ordering Groundwater Model Parts and Supplies
UWSP Groundwater Model Project - for ordering extra parts or model repair