Alternative Winter Break
Boulder Creek, California
January 15th-20th 2017
October 14th Applications Due with $100 deposit
October 28th Applicants notified as to acceptance status
November 23rd remaining payment due
January 15th-20th Trip
What will we be doing?
The group will leave from Stevens Point Sunday January 15th in the morning and fly out from the Dane Country Airport (Madison) to San Jose, CA airport. We will then take a shuttle to Camp Campbell and arrive midafternoon, we will have the rest of the day to relax and hang out at camp. Monday will be a training day facilitated by camp staff where participants will learn how to deal with different situations, games and icebreakers, and how to work with kids in a residential and outdoor setting. Tuesday-Friday students will act like camp counselors leading students through their social activities, attending field study with them, and acting as their 1st line of support in the cabins at night. We will then leave Friday morning by shuttle, then fly from San Jose Airport to Dane County airport and arrive back in Stevens Point around 10:30 at night on January 24th.
To find more information on Camp Campbell check out their website
Pre-Trip Meetings (attendance is required)
The purposes of the meetings are three-fold:
- Get to know the other participants before you spend a week together.
- Explore the root causes of social issues.
- Prepare for the service trip.
Dates of Pre-trip meetings for AWB 2016-17
11/16 4:00pm DUC Room 378
11/30 4:00pm DUC Room 223
12/7 4:00pm DUC Room 223
This includes $100 deposit that is due with application; the final payment of $350 is due November 23rd
What does the trip cost include?
- All transportation (to and from airport, airfare, shuttle to and from camp)
- Select meals
- Any supplies needed to work at service sites
What does the cost not include?
- Checked Baggage
- Meals on travel days
- Medical Insurance
- Cost associated with leisure time activities (museums, souvenirs, tickets)
How can I find out more information?
Please contact the SIEO Service Trip Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-346-2260.
How do I apply?
1. Find the application at the top of this page.
2. Print off application and sign all forms and waivers.
3. Complete the essay portion of the application.
- The essay portion of the application is the most important aspect; each question should be answered in at least 1 descriptive paragraph. All responses must be typed, and include students ID number.
4. Turn in the signed forms, essay responses, and required money $100 deposit to the information and tickets desk in the DUC.
5. Applications will be reviewed by a committee of students and staff.
- If necessary group interviews will be conducted to choose participants.
6. Students will be notified in due time if they have been selected. If students are not chosen to participate on the trip, they will receive their deposit back in full.