Smiley Professional Events: Advisory Board
The Smiley Professional Events Advisory Board is a group of students that works closely with the Pro Events program of the School of Business and Economics. Advisory Board members will help shape the Pro Events program and be the face of the program to students and guests. This is a year-long commitment that will be beneficial to the student board members as well as to the Pro Events program.
Start Date: September 2019Number of Members: 10-12Meeting Schedule: 2-3 meetings per semester on Wednesday evenings
Smiley Professional Events Advisory Board members will work with the Pro Events team in order to promote Pro Events to students on campus. Advisory Board members will be required to promote events in their classes as well as at their extracurricular activities such as clubs or sports teams. Promotion efforts may include short presentations to classes and clubs, social media posts, and distribution of posters/promotional materials to students. Advisory Board members will also give feedback on past events and suggest ideas for future events. Advisory Board members must have a professional appearance and be comfortable networking with students as well as business professionals and UW-Stevens Point alumni.
Board Member Requirements
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for the Pro Events program
- Attend Advisory Board orientation in September
- Attend four Advisory Board meetings per year (two per semester)
- Attend a variety of Pro Events, minimum one per week.All events will count, as needed, as Pro Event credits for classes
- Schedule permitting, attend “premier” Pro Events; e.g., keynote speaker for Kickstart Your Career!
- Commit to a full year through May 2020
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Have a major within the School of Business and Economics or Health Promotion and Wellness
Board Member Benefits
- After the completion of a full year, board members will be awarded a $500 scholarship.
- By actively attending numerous Pro Events, you will have many opportunities to expand your professional network and gain important career-planning knowledge.
- You will be able to connect with local business professionals at Advisory Board meetings, providing additional opportunities for networking and professional growth.
- You will be invited to special Advisory Board-only events, such as receptions with visiting alumni.
- You will have the chance to improve the Pro Events program for you and your fellow students.
- You will develop highly-valued skills such as communication, leadership, networking, public speaking, and teamwork skills.
- You will enjoy delicious food at each of the four board meetings per year!
How to Apply
email Prof. Elizabeth Martin
your résumé as well as a short note explaining your interest in the position. Submit your materials by 10 a.m. on April 22. We will ask qualified candidates to sign up for in-person interviews starting April 29.