Smiley Professional Events: Advisory Board
The Pro Events Advisory Board is a group of students that works closely with the Pro Events program of the School of Business and Economics. Advisory Board members help shape the Pro Events program and are the face of the program to students and guests. This is a year-long commitment that is beneficial to the student board members as well as to the Pro Events program.
Start Date: September 2020Number of Members: 10-12Meeting Schedule: 2-3 meetings per semester on Wednesday from 5:30–7:15 p.m.
Pro Events Advisory Board members work with the Pro Events team in order to promote Pro Events to students on campus. Advisory Board members are required to promote events in their classes and via social media. Advisory Board members also give feedback on past events and suggest ideas for future events. Advisory Board members must have a professional demeanor and be comfortable networking with students as well as business professionals and alumni.
Board Member Requirements
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for the Pro Events program.
- Attend six Advisory Board meetings per year (three per semester).
- Attend and give feedback on a variety of Pro Events, (10 per semester). Attended events will count, as needed, as Pro Event credits for classes.
- Attend designated “special” Pro Events; e.g., keynote speaker.
- Promote upcoming Pro Events via social media and in-class announcements.
- Commit to a full year through May 2021.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Have a major within the School of Business and Economics or Health Promotion and Wellness.
Board Member Benefits
- After the completion of a full year, board members will be awarded a $500 scholarship.
- By actively attending numerous Pro Events, you will have many opportunities to expand your professional network and gain important career-planning knowledge.
- You will be able to connect with local business professionals at Advisory Board meetings, providing additional opportunities for networking and professional growth.
- You will be invited to special Advisory Board-only events, such as receptions with visiting alumni.
- You will have the chance to improve the Pro Events program for you and your fellow students.
- You will develop highly-valued skills such as communication, leadership, networking, public speaking and teamwork skills.
- If we can meet in person, meetings will also include dinner (usually at PJ’s restaurant)!
How to Apply
email Prof. Elizabeth Martin
your resume as well as a short note explaining your interest in the position. Submit your materials by noon, Monday, April 27. We will ask qualified candidates to sign up for group info sessions on Zoom starting April 29.