Other Frequently Asked Questions

  • My insurance company said I should contact the Bursar’s Office to ask for a statement that says I am a student at UWSP. How can I get this documentation?

    Actually, what you need is an enrollment verification form that is provided by the Registration Office. You can find this form online at this website: Enrollment Verification Form

  • My tax preparer says I need to obtain a 1098-T tax statement from UWSP that says what my tuition charges were in order to do my taxes. Where can I get this 1098-T tax statement?

    1098-T tax statements are created for the year that just ended. The tax statement can be viewed and printed at https://www.getmydocument.com.  If your tax preparer requests more detailed information to go along with the 1098-T tax form, you can also print your account detail found in myPoint to share with them.  Please contact the Accounts Receivable Office with any other questions.

  • How can my parent obtain information on my student UWSP billing account?

    The student needs to communicate their billing information to their parent. UWSP employees are bound by privacy regulations and are unable to disclose details regarding student accounts to anyone but the student.

  • How do I send my student bill to my parents?

    Once logged into UWSP E-bill, you may forward an e-mail copy of the bill to parents, spouse, or others. Go to the Accounts Receivable web site for downloading and forwarding UWSP E-bills.

  • How can I contact the Bursar’s Office or get more information about the Bursar’s Office services?

    Email: bursar@uwsp.edu
    Phone: (715) 346-2088
    Mailing Address: UWSP Bursar's Office, 007 Student Services Center, 1108 Fremont Street, Stevens Point, WI 54481
    Office Location: Room #007 in the lower level of the Student Services Center
    Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
    Website: http://www.uwsp.edu/bursar/