The Tutoring-Learning Center’s mission is to offer student-centered academic support across disciplines. In cooperation with faculty and staff, the center provides peer-to-peer assistance through individual and small group collaboration.
The Tutoring-Learning Center staff strives to maximize academic potential and promote student success and retention in a safe and welcoming environment. We adhere to the following views of learning:
- An inclusive environment is integral to a liberal education.
- Every student brings unique abilities to the UWSP campus community.
- Each discipline has a unique way of reading, writing, and learning.
- Learning is not generic; learning always occurs in a specific context.
- Active learning improves a student’s ability to be successful and leads to student ownership of learning.
- Collaboration encourages the development of critical thinking and benefits both learner and peer educators.
- Training of peer tutors, consultants, and discussion leaders includes current learning theory and promotes ethical practices.
- Peer educators model successful learning strategies which encourage students to thrive in a university environment.
- Collaborative relationships with faculty and staff members across departments and disciplines are a vital component for delivery of our services.