Social Work Major Application
We are pleased to learn of your interest in the UWSP Social Work Program. Professional social work is a demanding, and rewarding, career in which you can positively influence individuals, families, groups, organizations, communities, and society as a whole. Seats in the social work major are limited to ensure an acceptable faculty-to-student ratio, with a commitment to providing quality classroom, advising, and internship experiences. Meeting the minimum standards does not guarantee that you will be accepted. Only students who meet the admission guidelines and show strong potential to succeed in social work practice by demonstrating interest, commitment, interpersonal skills, relevant experiences, and academic ability will be considered.
Please have the following documents ready to upload prior to completing your application. You will not be permitted to revise or resubmit your application once it has been submitted.
All submitted documents should be in PDF (.pdf) or Word (.doc or .docx) format.
- A current UWSP Degree Progress Report.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters can be from professors or advisors not in the Department of Sociology & Social Work, work or volunteer supervisors, or mentors who know you well. They should not be from family members or friends. Please ask letter writers to address their letter to the UWSP Social Work Program Committee and to indicate:
- How long and in what capacity they have known you.
- What they perceive as your strengths as they apply to a career in social work.
- What they perceive as your weaknesses as they apply to a career in social work.
- Any specific examples of situations in which you have demonstrated values or skills relevant to social work, such as helping others either directly or through advocacy efforts.
- Their job title, position, agency (if relevant).
- A personal statement (600-800 words) that includes responses to the following:
- Why do you want to pursue a career in social work? What are your goals? What are your interests?
- What experiences (work, volunteer, research, community, multi-cultural, work/study abroad) do you have that make you well suited for the social work profession?
- What are your strengths for entry into the social work profession?
- What do you see as your personal limitations for entry into social work?
The Application deadline is October 10 for the fall semester and March 1 for the spring semester. Late applications will not be accepted. Please contact Amy Zlimen, Director of the Social Work Program, with questions: Collins Classroom Center 456, (715) 346-3603, email@example.com.
Applications for Fall 2016 may be submitted using the online form located here. Please contact the Sociology and Social Work office if you have any questions.
Notice of Nondiscrimination: The University of Wisconsin—Stevens Point does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, sex, gender identity/expression, ancestry, national origin, age, marital status, relationship to other employees, sexual orientation, disability, veteran's status, membership in the National Guard, state defense force or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or this state, arrest or conviction record, political affiliation, or other protected status.