Integrating Library Resources into D2L
In D2L, your course will automatically include the Library widget on course homepages to give students convenient access to Library resources. This widget includes links to the Library homepage, book search, article search, reserves, research guides, and help. You can integrate the Library into your course even further by requesting a customized course guide be created for you to.
The Library subscribes to several streaming video packages that are accessible via Search@UW
or our Find Videos
guide. When linking to these streaming videos make sure to follow these three recommendations to ensure the videos play properly.
- Use a persistent link
- Make sure the proxy information is included in the URL so that off campus users are able to view (example: http://digital.films.com.ezproxy.uwsp.edu/PortalPlaylists.aspx?aid=7768&xtid=11728)
- Set the link in D2L to "open as an external resource"
If you are unsure if you are using a correct link please contact the Reference Desk
Customized Course Guides in D2L
Are you using D2L in your courses? Are you interested in integrating library resources into your teaching and assignments? A library course guide can be a very valuable tool for helping your students successfully identify and use library resources to complete assignments.
We would be happy to set up a library guide for your course. We welcome your input, but do not want to create more work for you. We can start with a page that links to the basic resources in your discipline. Then, if you desire more customization, just share your syllabus with us, or contact us with information about your specialized needs and we'll customize the resources offered for your assignments.
We can include direct links to:
- Electronic reserves and/or your print reserve list in the library catalog
- Databases that index articles or resources in your discipline
- Core journals in your discipline
- Specific articles in library electronic databases
- And other resources such as streaming videos, online citation guides, Interlibrary Loan, Universal Borrowing, reference help and recommended websites.
We can embed search boxes to a variety of library resources for quick and easy searching:
- Credo Reference
- Films on Demand
- And many more
Examples of discipline based subject guides:
Examples of assignments based course guides:
Copyright Considerations: A guide to the TEACH Act and other copyright law for online education.
For more information or to request a course guide contact your Library Liaison.